Rain Rain Go Away…

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day…. said every Green Hope student ever.  Sure, rain can be fun and relaxing when you’re snuggled up in bed with a good book, or when you’re having one of those cheesy, Nicholas Sparks, dancing-in-the-rain movie moments, but when you’re at school? Rain is pretty much the worst thing ever.  For the past couple of days, Cary, North Carolina has been suffering from a healthy dose of April showers.  From getting absolutely soaked while making the trek to the mods to splashing in puddles galore, Green Hope rain really puts a dark cloud over things.  And I am not a fan.  

Know that feeling when you enter the mods and it feels like you’ve just taken a shower? Our classrooms feel even smaller when they’re filled with soaking wet kids, dripping onto their desks and chairs.  And wet hair frizzes, too, yet another annoying aspect to when it rains during school.  

Everyone knows that when dirt gets wet, it turns into mud.  And mud is gross.  I myself have been in one too many situations where I stepped in the wrong place, my foot slipped, and suddenly, mud was everywhere.  I’m already a klutz: I don’t need rain making my clumsiness worse.  Forget the fact that it tracks onto shoes and white floors and clothes.  

In addition, rain makes roads slick with water, which makes it much easier to get into accidents.  When new, inexperienced student drivers are driving on slick roads, it’s bound not to end well.  Rain can also cause power outages, flooding, and other less than desirable situations.  Not only is it a nuisance, but it can be a serious danger to students at the school.

The point? Rain can be soothing, just not at school.  I much prefer rain when I’m in the comfort of my own home, warm, safe, and dry.  Just remember: April showers bring May flowers.  And at the end of every rainstorm, there’s a rainbow…

About the Contributor
Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief
Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee— which she does for three different teams! She hopes to find herself at UNC Chapel Hill next year, double majoring in journalism and business or journalism and...