Trump Ban 2.0

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

Although President Trump’s most recent travel ban was suspended indefinitely by the Department of Homeland Security, that hasn’t stopped him from revising a brand new “Muslim Ban” set to go in place on March 16th, 2017.  Although the ban has the same name, Trump has included several changes in the revised copy.  For one, the Trump Administration announced the ban on March 6th, ten days before it’s set release, allowing time for those affected to plan accordingly and get their affairs in order.  Previously, the travel ban had gone immediately into place, causing chaos at airports all across the globe.  In addition, this travel ban does not affect green-card holders or those with visas, and targets six Muslim-majority countries rather than the previous seven: Libya, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Yemen, and Somalia.  However, although this ban seems less severe than its predecessor, there are some aspects that contradict this idea.

For one, the new travel ban prevents admission of all refugees into the United States for a 120-day period.  In addition, there is a 90-day ban on admission into the U.S. from those previously mentioned six countries. The state of Hawaii has already filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration, citing the fact that the travel ban discriminates against the Muslim population.  New York, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, and Massachusetts have also formally challenged the ban, although President Trump has stated that he is confident this version of the ban will uphold in court.  It remains to be seen what will become of this ban, and how both America and the world will be affected by it.

Trump Ban 2.0