Random Acts of Kindness Day

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

Sonia Rao

For most people, today is just an average day of school, work, or whatever else they usually busy themselves with during the week.  But a quick glance at a calendar will reveal that today’s date is the nationally celebrated holiday, Random Acts of Kindness Day, as designated by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.  Although this holiday isn’t as well-known as other commercial holidays such as, say, Valentine’s or St. Patrick’s day, it is quickly growing in popularity.  It’s refreshing to have a holiday that simply focuses on the act of being kind to others, without any mass holiday sales or market madness.  In the spirit of Random Acts of Kindness Day, here’s a list of five simple things you can do to make anyone’s day a little brighter.

• Hold the door for someone

If you see someone struggling to balance their books, coffee, and/or any other important items, don’t hesitate to give them a helping hand by holding the door.  

• Give someone (or multiple people) a compliment

It’s funny how a few words can boost a person’s self esteem by so much.  Compliment someone’s outfit, adorable necklace, or their new ‘do.  It’ll make them (and you) feel a little better.

• Smile at a random stranger

You never know when someone might be having a bad day, and even a small show of support from a stranger can be sure to make someone’s day a little bit merrier.

• Say “Thank You”

Although this should already be a given, the simple words of “thank you” are all too often forgotten. Showing your appreciation for the people in your life is never a bad idea, so why not start now?

• Give a hug to someone that needs it

Know somebody who’s pet just passed away? Who’s having a hard time in school? Who’s just feeling really down? Sometimes, a good hug can make any problem seem a little bit smaller.  

Although February 17th is the nationally recognized holiday, every day should be a “Random Acts of Kindness Day.”  Even by following this simple list, anyone’s day can be made a little brighter. So don’t make being kind a one time thing- make it habit, one that you won’t want to break. 

About the Contributor
Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief
Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee— which she does for three different teams! She hopes to find herself at UNC Chapel Hill next year, double majoring in journalism and business or journalism and...