New President Price is Right For Duke

Duke+Chapel
Duke Chapel

Duke Chapel

Sonia Rao

Sonia Rao

Duke Chapel

Dalal Azzam, Junior News Editor

During the first week of December this past year, Duke University witnessed a passing of power. On December 2nd, Vincent Price was elected as the tenth president of Duke University, following the ninth president, Richard Brodhead.

Since 2004, Richard Brodhead has held the position as the ninth president of Duke University. Brodhead, in his 12 years as president unified the university’s staff and students, expanded the financial aid program, and launched DukeEngage, a program that allows undergraduates to apply the skills they learn to society.

In addition to benefiting the Duke community on campus, Brodhead has helped enhance and enrich educational opportunities for students worldwide. Brodhead helped launch a graduate medical school in cooperation with the National University of Singapore. In addition, Brodhead worked with the City of Durham to strengthen K-12 education.

As Brodhead retires, Vincent Price prepares to lead the university with its associated level of excellence.Price, a previous provost of the University of Pennsylvania known for his ability to move campuses toward a global economy, will assume his position during the summer of 2017 as Duke University’s new president.

Throughout his career,”Price has demonstrated …strong, effective and enlightened leadership,” according to David Rubenstein, the Duke trustees chairman.

Recently, Price addressed hundreds of people on Duke’s campus to deliver the several challenges he hopes to solve during his tenure as president. These challenges included adapting new forms of technology, working on lowering the high tuition cost, and continuing to make the school increasingly diverse.

• New President Price is Right For Duke

Top Google Searches of 2017

• New President Price is Right For Duke

Net Neutrality: What is it and How Does it Affect You?

• New President Price is Right For Duke

GHHS Running Trail Construction

• New President Price is Right For Duke

One Nation Under Doug

• New President Price is Right For Duke

Saudi Arabia Lifts Ban on Movie Theaters

New President Price is Right For Duke