Fantastic Beasts Expands Potterverse

Newt+Scamander
Newt Scamander

Newt Scamander

Courtesy Warner Brothers

Courtesy Warner Brothers

Newt Scamander

Sonia Rao, Magizoologist

Harry Potter is one of the most beloved children’s series of all time.  With books, movies, and screenplays, the magical wizarding world has never failed to capture hearts of all ages.  Unsurprisingly, the newest addition to the Potterverse, movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, is sure to charm even the coldest of hearts.  Set in the 1920’s, the movie follows young wizard Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) as he travels from London to New York City, unintentionally setting loose a plethora of magical beasts in the city during his journey.  

Along the way, he bumps into- literally- muggle (or, as the Americans call them, “no-maj”) Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler), former MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America) employee Porpentina Goldstein (Katherine Waterson), and her mind-reading sister, Queenie Goldstein (Fine Frenzy), not to mention the evil Mary Lou (Samantha Morton).  Together, the group travels throughout the city attempting to recapture these beasts, and unintentionally bumping into a few other evils along the way.

Although the plot might be lagging in action, the movie more than makes up for it with the fantastical world of magical creatures that it spins.  Viewers learn more about the history and background of the Harry Potter universe, and the movie connects back to the world in more ways than one.  With four more movie installments set to be added to the Fantastic Beasts universe, one can only imagine what wonderful lengths the world will explore from here.  Dazzling cinematography, spectacular scenery, and most of all, the beautiful beasts that are featured throughout the film make this movie what is sure to be a splendid hit.  

Harry Potter fans, both new and old, prepare to be amazed by the introduction of a whole new world in the Harry Potter Universe.  With beloved characters, intricate villains, and a whirlwind of new magic, this movie is absolutely spellbinding- no pun intended.

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief
Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee— which she does for three different teams! She hopes to find herself at UNC Chapel Hill next year, double majoring in journalism and business or journalism and...