Snap Specs Coming Soon

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

It’s not uncommon to look around Green Hope High School and see teenagers on their phones, constantly checking their Snapchat stories and making sure they haven’t lost their streaks with their friends. The company, recently rebranded Snap Inc., is branching out from dog filter and geotag generating apps and releasing a pair of sunglasses that double as a recording device this fall.  The spectacles, still nameless, will be able to record up to ten seconds of video with the mere tap of a button.   

Snapchat’s new shades will come in black, teal, and coral, and can be purchased for $130.00.  A 115 degree angle lens that is wider than the lens of a typical smartphone camera will produce circular video that can be transferred wirelessly to the snapchat app.  Although people have expressed worries about privacy issues that may arise with this new technology, Snap Inc. has reassured critics that outward facing lights around the camera lens will alert people when the glasses are recording.  

It is no surprise the company responsible for one of the most popular forms of social media has chosen to expand its endeavors.  Their very first hardware project will be available for limited distribution starting this fall – and whether or not recording glasses will soon be the newest trend remains to be seen.  

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief
Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee— which she does for three different teams! She hopes to find herself at UNC Chapel Hill next year, double majoring in journalism and business or journalism and...