Target Flushes Bathroom Critics Down Bullseye

The Target on HWY 55 hosts one of the updated restroom signs.

Photo by Sonia Rao

Photo by Sonia Rao

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

Target has recently announced a new plan to spend about $20 million building a gender neutral, single-stall bathroom in each of their stores across the country.  This new plan is in response to the American Family Association’s nation-wide boycott of Target that has caused many wary consumers (about 1.4 million) to ditch the popular store.  In April of 2016, Target announced a new bathroom policy on their company blog stating that customers could choose the bathroom that matched their gender identity. “In our stores, we demonstrate our commitment to an inclusive experience in many ways. Most relevant for the conversations currently underway, we welcome transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity,” the post read.   

Critics accused Target of allowing the potential for sexual predators to enter bathrooms and violate both women and children.   Since the announcement, customer traffic and sales have decreased dramatically, according to Business Insider.  In fact, three Sundays ago, Target hosted a sale where everything in-store and online was 10% off – the first sale ever of its kind for Target – in an attempt to boost revenue.  Whether it has succeeded or not still remains to be seen; but for now, Target remains steadfast in their statement. Out of the 1800 Target stores in the U.S, 300 of them already have single-stall bathrooms, and by the end of the year, there will only be 25 locations without the updated restrooms. By 2017, every Target store in the United States will have a single-stall bathroom. In an interview with Kelly Evans on CNBC’s Squawk Box, the CEO of Target, Brian Cornell, stated that “We’re going to continue to embrace our belief in diversity and inclusion, just how important that is to our company. We want to make sure we provide a welcoming environment for all of our guests, one that’s safe  [and] one that’s comfortable.”

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief
Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee— which she does for three different teams! She hopes to find herself at UNC Chapel Hill next year, double majoring in journalism and business or journalism and...