Annie Elvin Feature

Chris Hall, Sports Writer

The Green Hope Volleyball team added yet another talented underclassmen when sophomore Annie Elvin transferred here over the summer. Annie moved to North Carolina because her parents both got jobs at NC State University. She moved from Muncie, a town of about 70,000 people in Indiana. Muncie is in Delaware County, one of the best volleyball counties in the state. Muncie is also home to a huge volleyball club, bigger than the ones in North Carolina. Munciana, the volleyball club, produced 32 college athletes in the last year alone, making them one of the most elite clubs in the country. Annie was on Munciana Open, the club’s best team. She just tried out for Triangle (the area’s best volleyball club) and made the top team here as well.

At her old school, Annie was one of the top two players on her team. She was second on her team in kills as a freshman on varsity. She said her team had gotten beat early in playoffs by a powerhouse school full of talented players. So after moving here, Annie was thrilled when she learned her new school was full of talent and coming off of two consecutive state championships. Annie said “It was very cool being added to a team that was already good. I love how competitive it is, it’s just as competitive as it was in Indiana.”

Moving states is often difficult for kids, especially high schoolers. Thankfully volleyball was an in with a good group of people she could surround herself with. Annie said, “Volleyball definitely helped me through the move,” and that she “couldn’t imagine moving here without volleyball.” When asked about how Cary is different from Muncie, Annie said, “The weather is a lot different, it’s warmer, and nicer.” She added that there is a lot more attractions here and much more fun stuff to do on the weekends.

Annie continued her high school success this year with Green Hope. She was second on the team in kills (as only a sophomore) with 228, only slightly behind Grace Patrick who had 242. She also posted a career high 14 kills in a third round playoff game versus Wakefield. Annie was one of the key additions that helped continue the Green Hope volleyball reign over the 4A and will for sure have an even bigger role in the years to come, potentially leading Green Hope to a 5-peat.

Chris Hall, Staff Writer

Chris Hall is a senior and this is his first year writing for The Falcon. His favorite things to do in his freetime are play Basketball and Fortnite. His favorite subject in school is math. He has helped foster dogs and has three of his own. His favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because his family always gets together to celebrate. If Chris could go anywhere in the world he would go to Hawaii. The job that he wishes to pursue after college is a Financial Advisor. In five years Chris sees himself finishing undergrad and then off to pursue a graduate degree.