Indonesian Plane Crash

Roshan Vridhachalam, Staff Writer

Plane crashes are few and far between, but make the big headlines when they occur. Although plane crashes are very rare, a one in a million chance to be exact, they can be extremely devastating. Planes carry hundreds of passengers every day, so a fatal plane crash will result in a massive amount of deaths. Their hundreds of metric tons, combines with the thousands of gallons of gasoline and the extremely fast speed of the plane, all add up to a very dangerous accident. Even if a passenger were to survive, they would have multiple severe injuries and there is always a risk of being trapped or an explosion. Heavy rubble may trap people from coming out and gasoline leaks have the possibility of catching fire. You don’t want to be in a plane crash.

Earlier this week, on October 29th, Lion Air Flight 610 took off from Jakarta, but would never reach its destination, Pangkal Pinang. Instead, the flight’s new destination would be the bottom of the Java Sea off of Jakarta. So far, officials do not know exactly how the plane ended up in the ocean. The conditions of the crash were very weird as it was daytime, with perfect weather, and a brand new plane.

There is a theory going around that the pilots had received wrong altitude or speed readings from probes on the airplane called the pitot-static system., and therefore were mislead on their actual position in the sky and ended up crashing. The pitot-static system has been the root of other plane crashes as well, so this theory is a very valid one. This crash did not help Lion Air as they had already had at least 15 major incidents with this one adding to the list. Pilots also have not always trained with the proper tools that are in the newer planes, making flying with them all the more dangerous. The captain, Mr. Suneja (an Indian citizen) had worked for Lion Air for seven years.

The plane took off from the runway, but didn’t get very far. Before the plane crashed, the crew requested if they could return to the airport. Then the plane plummeted more than 500 feet, banked to the left and continued on a roller-coaster dive until it slammed into the Java Sea.

The president director of Lion Air, Edward Sirait, confirmed on Monday that the plane had experienced some kind of technical issues, but he did not say what the exact problem was.

Never specified what problems. The United States government and Boeing investigators were to arrive in Indonesia on Wednesday to aid the investigation. Currently, Indonesian authorities are sending divers to the wreckage to recover human remains, debris, and other materials.  Unfortunately, all 189 members on board are presumed dead.

A statement was released by the spokesperson of Indonesia, “We were saddened to learn about the loss of so many lives in the plane crash in the Java Sea waters in Indonesia earlier today. Our condolences go to the people of Indonesia, to the countries’ authorities, and particularly to the families of the victims and their loved ones.”