Migrant Caravans Approaching Southern US Border

Gelila Petros, Staff Writer

Over the past decade, migrants and refugees from Central America have been making their way to the Mexico-United States border. These migrants are usually fleeing violence, gangs, and poverty in their home countries such as Mexico, Guatemala, and Venezuela. But recently, there has been an been a massive increase in migration to the Mexico-United States border. The most recent group of people being those from Honduras traveling in caravans to the US border.

More than 7,000 migrants coming from these Central American countries are traveling to the US in hopes of finding a place that is safer than their home countries. They say there is no safety, jobs, and hospitals lack medicine. President Juan Orlando Hernández and the government of Honduras, have also been oppressing the basic rights of the people.

As of right now the caravans are more than 1,000 miles away from the Mexico-US border.  If the caravan travels 15 miles a day, it would take about two months to reach the Rio Grande, the nation’s busiest for illegal crossings and the natural border between the US and Mexico. However, if migrants use buses or trains, they could arrive at the border in less than a week. Even though Mexico had been preparing their borders, they didn’t stop the caravan from entering the country. The Pentagon plans to deploy about 800 troops to the border, but it is more for humanitarian relief than combat. The additional troops sent will be there to provide transportation and logistic support when the caravan reaches the border.

It is difficult to know what will happen when the caravan actually reaches the Mexico-US border. With immigration from Central American countries and the issues with illegal immigrants being hot topics over the past year, the outcome of all this could end up being a number of things. As the government’s opinion on the matter is evident, one can only sit and wait for the migrants to arrive at the border.

Gelila Petros, Staff Writer

Gelila Petros is a junior this year. This is her first time writing for The Falcon and she is excited to see what’s to come. She was born in San Jose, California, but moved here when she was one. In kindergarten, she moved to Texas. She lived there for five years and came back to North Carolina. She enjoys drawing sketches in her free time. Science is her favorite subject in school and she really enjoys eating pasta. She sees a future practicing medicine and wants to be a pediatrician. Gelila is also a bookworm and reads in her spare time. She really likes the book The Sun is Also a Star. With her love of reading and writing, she’ll be able to contribute amazing work to our site.