Tennis Repeats

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

On Saturday, the third of October, the Green Hope Tennis Team traveled to the Burlington Tennis Center to compete in the NCHSAA Dual-Team State Championship. The Falcons were facing off against the Myers Park Mustangs for the third straight year in the title match. Green Hope were able to pull off the win versus Myer Park, thus lamenting their repeat as state champions and perfect season.
The highlight matchup of the championship was Katie Andreini of Green Hope versus Katie Weber of Myers Park. These two went back and forth for three hours, with Katie Weber coming out on top with close victories in both sets. Anna Rico, Cynthia Xiao, Rindha Sudhini, and Reilly Major defeated their counterparts from Myers Park, while Sophia Gray lost singles three. Both teams then had to head into doubles to try and claim the title.
The doubles pairing of Katie Andreini and Anna Rico defeated Myers Park, clinching the state championship. Katie Andreini was named tournament MVP. Senior captain Cynthia Xiao said, “Im so incredibly proud of my team for coming together and supporting each other on Saturday. Every one of us fought really hard and left it all on the court and it paid off. I wouldn’t ask for any other way to finish off the season!”
Another perfect season for the tennis team has come to the books. History was made with Sophia Gray and Anna Rico winning the individual doubles title and the team won back-to-back title. All this leaves people to wonder is what is in store for the 2019 season?

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”