GH Weekly Wrap-Up 10/28-11/3

Last week consisted of many championship performances. Green Hope had five teams compete in state championship events on Saturday, claiming three titles. Let us recap how all of our sports teams performed against North Carolina’s best.

Volleyball: In their third consecutive trip to the state championship, Green Hope took on rival Panther Creek. The Falcons cruised to a three-peat, sweeping the Catamounts 3-0. Sydney Dowler made North Carolina history as she is the first athlete to win three straight MVP awards.

Tennis: Green Hope took on Myers Park once again at the Burlington Tennis Center in the NCHSAA State Championship. The Falcons defeated Myers Park 5-3, completing their repeat as state champions. Katie Andreini was named finals MVP.

Gymnastics: The third state championship of the week came from the Gymnastics team.

Football: Due to rain, the Fight for 55 matchup vs. Panther Creek got postponed until tonight at home.

Cross Country: Both teams traveled to Kernersville to compete in the NCHSAA State Championship. The Men’s team placed second overall, losing to a strong Cary team. They were led by All-State performances from Reed Blackman and Thomas Vo. The Women’s team placed ninth as a team with Bailey Fowler leading the team.

Soccer: In the last regular season match, the team traveled to Cary to close off their strong season. The game was close as Green Hope was only able to come away with a 2-1 win in overtime. The Falcons now begin their playoff run on Tuesday at home.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”