History of the Green Hope vs PC Football Rivalry

PJ Fenton, Sports Writer

The most heated football rivalry in the State of North Carolina is Green Hope vs Panther Creek. The two biggest high schools in Cary are separated by only two miles. A 4 minute drive puts you from one side of highway 55 where everyone goes to Green Hope and supports the Falcons, to the other side where the students attend Panther Creek. The rivalry started in 2007, the first year Panther Creek had a football team. Since then, every game has been heated and tightly contested. Before the teams play each other this Monday at Green Hope, here is a look over the previous meetings and what has led to the heated rivalry.

2017 – Last year, Green Hope had its most dominant win of the whole series with a score of 53-20. The Falcons were led in large part by Quarterback Willie Taylor and wide receivers Jordyn Adams and Blake Watson. The defense led by Paul Robinson and others did a great job containing the catamounts.
2016- Green Hope lost by one point after scoring a last minute touchdown, but rather than electing to kick an extra point, the Falcons went for the win but missed the two point conversion. Giving the Catamounts 28-27 win.

2015- In arguably the best game of the series, Panther Creek scored in the last 3 minutes of the game to go up 27-23 and everyone thought the game was over. Green Hope had one last chance with the ball and it looked to be over. After incompletions on first, second and third down they only had time for one more play. So, on fourth-and-15 Tucker Burkinshaw dropped back and threw a 73-yard touchdown to sophomore Blake watson to win the game 29-27.

2014- In the most important meeting of the series, the 2014 SWAC conference championship game. The falcons led by Quarterback Luke Massei and playmakers Ridge Ford and Bryce Dixon came out on top by a score of 17-10. The win proved to be the turning point in the Green Hope Football program. After 10 years without winning a championship, the Falcons came out on top. When those seniors who finished 10-3 and conference champions were freshman, the Varsity team failed to win a single game. From worst to first in 4 years was a huge turnaround for the program.

2013- Green Hope traveled to Panther Creek with hopes of beating the Catamounts in back-to-back years for the first time ever, but lost 28-18 in an extremely close game. This loss sparked a fire in the underclassmen that season to come back and beat PC the next year.

2012- In Coach Kwame Dixon’s second year as head coach, Green Hope ended a four year losing streak and beat the Catamounts. The Falcons were led on offense by Quarterback Chris Tutwiler, running back Dylan Hartigan and wide receiver John Nassif. Defensively, the Falcons led by Senior Terry Whitehead and All-conference Freshman Ridge Ford held the Catamounts to one score to finish with a 14-3 win.

2011- In Coach Kwame Dixon’s first year as head coach, the Falcons were led by Quarterback Jacob Best, running back Marcus Williams, and Wide Receiver Tyler Baddick. The Falcons got their first win in four years but still couldn’t outlast Panther Creek, losing 35-18.

2010- This was Panther Creek’s best season in school history and they beat Green Hope 41-6.

2009 – Panther creek won again and beat Green Hope 34-7.

2008- In the second meeting, Panther Creek bounced back and beat Green Hope 22-7.

2007- In the first meeting of the two cross-town rivals, Green Hope came out on top 27-20.

PJ Fenton, Staff Writer

PJ Fenton is a senior at Green Hope High School. He also plays basketball for Green Hope, and his position is small forward. PJ was born in Massachusetts, and moved to Cary at the age of 3. He has two brothers, one of which is a senior in college and the other is in the Navy. In the future, he wants to major in business, specifically management. Eventually, he wants to become a big time entrepreneur, and open several businesses. On top of playing sports, PJ is also a member of NHS and DECA. His hobbies include playing basketball with friends at Carpenter Park.