Socks with Crocs: Bop or Flop?

Should these shoes be worn with socks?

Should these shoes be worn with socks?

Should these shoes be worn with socks?

Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

The other day I was walking through the commons at lunch and I happened to look down.  When I did, I was appalled. I saw at least twenty people wearing sock with their Crocs.  I can answer the question, a bop or a flop very easily: flop. However, a vast majority of the students at Green Hope seemed to disagree with me.  I tracked down a few of the people who were wearing these blasphemous shoes to see if they could change my opinions on Crocs.

Why do you love Crocs so much?

Anu Mishra: “They are so comfy and you can personalize them. As Michael Scott would say, ‘they’re ergonomically great for your feet.’ I bought my Crocs in kids size so they cost $27.  A little pricey, but I’m going to wear them forever. It’s an investment.”

Stephen Chang: “They show how big my brain is. The jibbitz have a hidden meaning but it’s still hidden from me so don’t ask what this is.  It’s also a statement for social equality. Crocs make everyone equal. They also spread happiness and love. If someone said they didn’t like Crocs I’d kick them in the face with my Crocs.”

Caity Dawes: “They’re comfy, they’re quick and easy, but they also represent who you are.  If you wear Crocs you’re up for a good time.”

Is Crocs with socks a bop or a flop?

Anu Mishra: “It is most definitely a bop. It’s also a fad. It went out and came into fashion, but I’m not doing it for fashion.  I’m doing it for me. They promote safety too. This safety strap keeps me locked in.”

Anu Mishra’s socks with crocs

Stephen Chang: “These are some classic chambray blue Crocs with pink bear socks. I really like the look and it’s definitely a fashion statement.”

Caity Dawes: “It just makes sense because the jibbitz won’t give you blisters.  You can customize them and then you can also wear fun socks to customize yourself even more.”

What do you think of the rumors that Crocs is going out of business?

Anu Mishra: “I’m still going to wear them. I’ll buy all the the Crocs and keep them from going out of business.”

Caity Dawes: “ I might as well stock up because in twenty years or so I can sell them for hundreds of dollars.”

Stephen Chang: “It’s a lifestyle. If they’re done I’m done. But also it’s just one factory store shutting down. I already contacted them and asked.”  (Author’s note: After careful research, I discovered that Stephen was right. The last manufacturing plant is shutting down but Croc says they are definitely not going to stop selling shoes and will not be shutting down.)

Stephen Chang’s socks with crocs

After careful research and consideration, my opinions have changed.  Sure, I still think Crocs are extremely ugly, but now I can accept how practical they are.  The general consensus seems to be that Crocs are bops, so I guess I must accept it.

About the Contributor
Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Anna is a Junior and she is on the lacrosse team. She is funny but quiet and her favorite color is green. Anna likes to travel. She visited Argentina and Uruguay this past summer. She is also in the process of getting her Irish citizenship. Her favorite season is fall because the weather is nice and the trees look pretty.  Rocky, is the name of her dog which was named after The Rock, but she doesn’t like him very much.

She enjoys eating chocolate ice cream and her favorite subject is Spanish.