Powerball Winner

Roshan Vridhachalam, Staff Writer

On early Wednesday morning, a South Carolinian had just received the best news of their life. One person had won $1.6 billion dollars. Well not really, taxes cut some off and that person ended up having a choice. Either take a cash sum of $904 million or get an initial payment and receive an annual installment over the next 29-30 years.

Unfortunately, South Carolina is one of the 8 states that allows its winners to stay anonymous, so we don’t know and possibly will never know who won. This might be a good thing, however. Many people have had their lives ruined after winning the lottery. Conflicts arise when people realize you have won millions of millions of dollars.

Don McNay, a financial consultant to lottery winners, stated, “So many of them wind up unhappy or wind up broke. People have had terrible things happen. People commit suicide. People run though their money. Easy comes, easy goes. They go through divorce or people die.”

This is a very serious issue that comes with winning money. Everyone wants some money of yours. Friends, family, acquaintances, former bosses, old friends, everyone. They all believe that since they are really good friends to you or part of your family, they should get some money. You might not always want to give them money, and then the situation escalates from there.

Many winners have come out and spoken negatively about winning the lottery. Abraham Shakespeare, the winner of the $30 million lotto jackpot in 2009, was murdered because of it. He was shot twice and then buried under a slab of concrete. He was always saying, “I’d have been better off broke,” before he was actually murdered.

Sandra Hayes, winner of the Missouri lottery in 2006, split a $224 million Powerball with some of her coworkers.  Her life was torn apart when her friends and family found out, all trying to get some money from her. She saw the greed come out of the people she once loved and enjoyed being around. When asked about how winning the lottery affected her, she responded with, ““These are people who you’ve loved deep down, and they’re turning into vampires trying to suck the life out of me.”

Not every single person who wins will end up miserable. Some people stay happy after they win. However, this is a very rare instance as most people end up with issues they simply can’t handle. According to the National Endowment for Financial Education, about 70 percent of people who suddenly receive a windfall of cash will lose it within a few years.

Luckily, this winner won a South Carolina ticket, so no one will know their name. Maybe this person will be able to hide the money from her friends and family, maybe he or she will be able to live their lives peacefully. We don’t know what will happen, only time can tell.