Saudi Arabia Murders Journalist

Bilal Azzam, News Editor

Jamaal Khashoggi, a highly acclaimed journalist and former editor-in-chief of Al-Arab News Channel, has been using media to talk against the oppressive Saudi Arabian government for years. Living in the United States, Khashoggi continued to write against Saudi Arabia and King Salman. Little did he know, the Saudi government, who identified him as a dissident, had their eyes on him. Khashoggi made a trip to Turkey, not knowing that he would never return to the United States.

As a writer for the Washington Post, Khashoggi was able to inform the American population as well as the rest of the world about the corrupt government and laws in Saudi Arabia. As such a large opposer to this major country, Khashoggi fled from Saudi Arabia to the United States in September of 2017. On an early October morning, Khashoggi had gone to Turkey to acquire papers to marry his soon-to-be wife. Khashoggi never made it out.

Before entering the building, the Saudi Arabian Consulate, Khashoggi told his fiancee to call the police if he wasn’t back out in an hour. He knew that the Saudi government would try to get their hands on him as soon as they can. Many suspected Khashoggi was dead, but no evidence was found then. As time progressed, outrage about the death of Khashoggi grew, especially in America. As a statement, the Washington Post left his column on the paper empty. Readers were surprised, upon opening the website, there had been a large white blank where a highly respected writer’s articles used to be.

It had been about one week before any evidence of Khashoggi’s death was revealed. Turkish officials claimed to find recordings of Saudi hitmen torturing and killing the journalist. As many wanted it revealed to the public, no recordings have been released as of yet, as officials state that the suggested evidence was disturbing and gruesome.

What the evidence may have proved was sickening.

Khashoggi was not only brutally tortured before he was murdered. He was dismembered, cut to parts. Piece by piece, the hitmen are believed to have left with Khashoggi’s severed body. Opposition to the Saudi government and King Salman erupted. Jamal Khashoggi and his work will not be forgotten. Many coworkers of this writer spoke to the public. One thing was common in all of their speeches–his death will not go without justice.

Bilal Azzam, News Editor

Bilal is a Junior in is his second year on staff. Originally from New Jersey, Bilal moved to Egypt
when he was six years old and spent 5 years in Cairo until eventually settling in Cary. He is
looking forward to Junior year so that he can go off campus to Chick-Fil-A at lunch. On the
weekends you can catch him scooping ice cream at his Job at Kilwins. When Bilal is not at
school or working he likes to hang out with his friends at Park West or watch the Office. After
Green Hope, he hopes to attend The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and become an
orthodontist.