Mosquitoes Swarm NC After Hurricanes

Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Following Hurricane Florence, mosquitoes swarmed the piedmont region.  Psorophora ciliata is the Latin name for the mosquitos that have began to terrorize most of North Carolina.  Reputable mosquito experts say that some floodwater species lay eggs and then the eggs are unhatched until the areas flood.  Now that Hurricane Florence and Michael have dropped buckets of water on the South, thousands of dormant mosquito eggs have hatched and begun to terrorize us.  

These mosquitoes are not just high in numbers–they are also significantly larger than what North Carolina normally sees.  Doug Carlson, a mosquito expert from Florida said, “it can feel like a small bird has landed on you.”  This breed of mosquitoes is often mistaken for wasps, as they are similar in size.  

This influx of mosquitoes has people reconsidering their everyday activities.  Harrison Orlando, a junior at Green Hope said, “I try not to go outside anymore than necessary.  I haven’t even been golfing in a week and I love to golf. I get bitten every time I leave my house.  I wish they would just go away.” The mosquitos are so bad they are also being described as a plague by other local news outlets and Green Hope students agree.  Ella Troiano, a junior, said, “I have so many bug bites and it’s crazy. This is definitely a plague. I’ve never seen so many before in my life.” Green Hope students find these mosquitoes very annoying and difficult to get away from.  

The governor of North Carolina, Roy Cooper, has allotted $4 million dollars to help residents with their mosquito-related problems and the department of health has released a list of tips for dealing with them.  (NC DPH Tips for Preventing Mosquito Bites)  They assured North Carolinians that the giant mosquitos are no more dangerous than the smaller, normal ones, but that they should be treated with caution.

Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Anna is a Junior and she is on the lacrosse team. She is funny but quiet and her favorite color is green. Anna likes to travel. She visited Argentina and Uruguay this past summer. She is also in the process of getting her Irish citizenship. Her favorite season is fall because the weather is nice and the trees look pretty.  Rocky, is the name of her dog which was named after The Rock, but she doesn’t like him very much.

She enjoys eating chocolate ice cream and her favorite subject is Spanish.