Finding the Perfect Fit: Homecoming

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Prom is “The Night of Nights” at American High Schools, however, there’s another exciting school dance that occurs in the fall: The Homecoming Dance. Homecoming represents celebrating your hometown and where you are from/ your school. There’s usually a varsity football game on Friday night where alumni come back to their high schools to support their former team. Students then party on the Saturday night in less-formal-than-prom dresses at the school dance and afterparties. 

Before most events, a big struggle especially girls face is what to wear. Even though only juniors and seniors are permitted to attend the dance, that’s still 1,470 students that have to wear a different outfit… twinning is NOT winning at occasions like this. Not to mention the few freshmen and sophomores who have upperclassmen dates and attend the dance as well. A lot of girls probably already have their dresses, but if you don’t, don’t stress, there’s the perfect hoco dress for everyone!

For homecoming, the style is short length formal dresses. There are more options and places to buy dresses then you could probably think of to find the perfect dress for you. Because there’s no need for big fancy prom dresses, you can find a pretty and appropriate dress at almost any store.

If you don’t trust online shopping and want to see the dress and try it on before you purchase, the triangle area has multiple malls. At Southpoint, there are the department stores Belk, Macy’s, Nordstroms, and JC Penney’s for a lot of affordable formal dresses. Popular everyday stores that also sell semi-fancy attire are Urban Outfitters, Altar’d State and Francesca’s. These are my go to stores to find the dress I’m looking for because I shop there for regular clothes anyway and I’m familiar with the style, sizing and what I like in their racks.

Online shopping is another option and very popular. If you’re worried about sizing or it not looking right many websites offer return and exchange policies where you can order the dress and see how you like it, or just return it if it’s not the dress for you. It’s slightly harder, however, as the wide web offers thousands of more options than the stores one might go to. My personal favorite websites are Hello Molly, Lulus, Tobi, and Revolve. Pinterest is a website a lot of people use for organizational ideas for stationery, home, parties, cooking; literally, anything can be found on Pinterest. You could find dresses on Pinterest and some even have links to websites to order them directly from Pinterest for cheap prices.

There’s no need to break the bank for homecoming weekend. Affordable and gorgeous outfits are everywhere, you just have to know where to look to find the perfect dress for you.

About the Contributor
Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen is a sophomore, and this is her first year taking Falcon News Feed. She took this class because she enjoys writing and English, and her sister, Shea, liked the class and recommended it. Kiera is excited for sophomore year because she now knows her way around Green Hope but has not yet reached the dreaded junior year. Outside of school, Kiera spends her time playing lacrosse or being involved in the National Charity League with her mom. She loves tacos and pigs, and is still trying to convince her parents to get her a teacup pig!  While at school, her favorite subjects are English and History. This summer, Kiera went to the beach with friends and had fun traveling to California. She is from a city in Australia and says Cary is much hotter. Watching the movie Clueless has inspired Kiera to be a lawyer in the future, and she would love to live in a big city!