How to Conquer the DMV

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Conquer the DMV

Can you conquer the DMV?

Can you conquer the DMV?

Geoffrey Dean

Can you conquer the DMV?

Geoffrey Dean

Geoffrey Dean

Can you conquer the DMV?

Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

Regardless of what grade you are in, there’s always a next step in the driving process.  As a Freshman, it’s drivers ed, then as a Sophomore, it’s the permit, Junior, your provisional, and finally as a Senior, you can acquire the ultimate prize: your after-nine. While this may seem like a trivial process to go to through, ask anyone who has completed it and they will tell you otherwise. Below are three tips to get through the DMV without excessive frustration.

• Do not treat making an appointment like it is a book you need to read for English:  Unfortunately, the DMV is completely inept at managing supply and demand.  They have an astronomically high amount of demand, but their supply is quite inadequate at meeting the needs of the public.  Because of this, the closest offices are completely booked, and the next available appointments at the Cary and Raleigh offices are not for several months.  To make matters worse, the installation of the REAL ID has only aggravated the issue. The DMV website does not offer appointment scheduling, meaning the only way to make an appointment is via phone call.  Not only is there an overflow of people needing appointments, there is an overflow of people contacting the DMV.  This results in wait times upwards of half an hour, just to talk to a DMV official. It is best to make these phone calls as soon as it opens at 8:00 AM, as there is a far less probability for an extended time on hold.  
  • Utilize days off of school to make an appointment or a trip to the DMV: Part of the difficulty of making trips to the DMV is the amount of time it can take, particularly if no appointment has been made. With lines that wrap out the door like a 1930’s soup kitchen, one can spend 3-4 hours waiting to get to the front desk, and another 2-3 hours going through whatever process they need to get done.  This is especially pertinent to people getting their provisional license (5 am – 9 pm, without a parent), as there are only a limited number of DMV employees who can conduct a driving test at any given point in time.  Getting the after-nine license is easily the least complicated process, but it can still be a lengthy trip. When asked about how long it took to complete a walk-in appointment to get the after-nine license, Junior Taylor Armstrong replied, “I just walked in, if you go to Cary and get there at 6 am, you should be out by 9:30 or 10:00 probably.”  This sacrifice of time is far easier to make if there is no school, as missing tests, quizzes, and instruction that may be critical down the road is hard to compensate for, no matter how proficient the State of North Carolina says you are at driving.
  • Only record the minimum amount of time necessary to qualify for the next stage of licensing: While the requirement to advance from a permit to a provisional license is the well known 60 hours of supervised driving, that number is far less than what is actually sufficient to become competent on the road.  However, that said, it saves an incredible amount of time up front, and at the DMV, to record 60 hours flat. No more, and certainly no less. At the DMV office, they are required by law to scan every page of hours that is handed to them, so if you record 200 or 300 plus hours, they have to scan, one by one, all of the log sheets.  Furthermore, writing down all of those hours can be quite laborious. It is more efficient to record long drives (2 or more hours), as opposed to each separate 15 or 30-minute drive. On this note, it is advisable to stay current when entering hours into the log, because having to sit down and write down every single drive over the previous three months can be tiresome.  Fortunately, there is an alternative to this hassle, the RoadReady app is a DMV NC certified app, that records driving hours.  This removes the need to keep track of all of the paper that the hard copy logs use up, and is far more accurate than a paper driving record.

Remember to be patient and have all of the necessary documentation that you may need. Check the DMV website for the required items. One last helpful tip is that if you are a Green Card holder- please bring it with you! Your passport is not enough.

Drive safe Falcons!

About the Contributor
Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

This is Geoffrey’s first year on The Falcon.  He is an aspiring writer, who is now a Junior after spending two years at Green Hope already.  He is...