Mac Miller Found Dead

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mac Miller Found Dead

Audrey Compiano, Staff Writer

This past Friday, September 7th, 2018, Malcolm McCormick, also known as Mac Miller, was found dead in his apartment in Los Angeles. The 26-year-old was pronounced at 11:51 in the morning. The cause of death is not certain at this time, as the autopsy report has not come back but sources suspect it was a drug overdose.

“Malcolm McCormick, known and adored by fans as Mac Miller, has tragically passed away at the age of 26,” his family said when addressing the public. “He was a bright light in this world for his family, friends and fans. Thank you for your prayers. Please respect our privacy. There are no further details as to the cause of his death at this time.” Mac Miller’s death is being mourned by many.

Mac Miller had been publicly struggling with substance abuse for a while, according to Rolling Stone. He had been sober for years and relapsed recently. This past May, he was arrested with a DUI charge which had followed the breakup of him and Ariana Grande, ending their two-year relationship.

His career started at the age of 14 under the alias EZ Mac, releasing mixtapes as a way to get himself into the music scene professionally. “Blue Side Park” was released in 2011 as his first studio album of five. His success skyrocketed throughout those following seven years. His latest album released this past August under the title “Swimming”.

“I think it was a truly tragic scenario in the case where drug addiction led to the downfall of another great artist. This has been the trend all of 2018 with icons either being addicted to drugs or other scenarios that have led to their demise. It needs to stop,” commented senior Billy Bartlett. This year icons such as Jackson Odell and Demi Lovato have experienced drug overdoses which were made public following the tragedy. While Demi Lovato did not die as a result of this, Jackson Odell was not as fortunate.  

Countless lives have been claimed too soon as a result of drug addiction.  If you or someone you know is affected by this problem, don’t be afraid to reach out for help before it is too late.  

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Audrey Compiano, Staff Writer

Audrey Compiano is a junior at Green Hope high school.  She was born in Iowa, but moved to North Carolina as a child.  This is her first year on The...