Are We Losing What Makes us Human?

Amelia Mendes, Staff Writer

With the rise of social media and technology, comes the threat of replacement. A visit is replaced with a phone call. A phone call is replaced with a text message. A text message is eventually replaced with a double tapped “❤️”. We are disillusioned if we believe that a “❤️” holds the same sincerity as a spoken “hello” or if we believe that looking at a screen can be as intimate as looking into someone’s eyes, face to face.

Of course, there are those who argue that social media has its advantages, which it undoubtedly does. Social media allows us to communicate with others who are geographically out of reach or who, for some other reason, are unable to see us in person. It is unreasonable to recommend that we all swear off social media and permanently put down our devices, but it is sound to say that we shouldn’t reach the point where social media is our main form of communication or where we are more comfortable texting someone than actually talking to them in person.

In reality, social media is no fathomable replacement for real social interaction. You miss out on everything. A person is comprised of so much more than simply his/her words. It’s all in how they say those words. How they look at you when they say those words. Are their eyes peering into yours in an attempt to convey sometimes that goes beyond language? What does their voice sound like? Isn’t a melodious laugh so much more contagious and wonderful that a stilted “Lol”? Call someone. Hear their voice and really listen to what they’re saying. See someone’s face and speak with them. A real conversation is capable of creating a lasting impact on the soul. A text message is forgotten the moment it’s read. Don’t miss out on real social interaction! Some would argue that it’s a key factor in what makes us human, our ability to communicate extraordinary ideas and emotions that are greater than ourselves. Embrace this. Embrace your humanity, your complexity. Don’t reduce yourself and all that you are to a few simple words and a smiley face.

Amelia Mendes, Staff Writer
Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world to visit is Costa Rica, because her grandmother’s used to be there.  Her favorite subject in school is drama, and she hopes to eventually receive a...