Three Dead, Ten Injured After Shooting at a Jacksonville Madden Tournament

Neil Sud, Staff Writer

A 24-year-old shooter, targeted gamers participating in a Madden tournament, killing two, injuring ten and pulling the trigger on himself.

Two hundred and thirty-four. That is the number of mass shootings that has occurred throughout the United States as of August 27, 2018. The latest shooting targeted gamers participating in a Madden video game tournament hosted in Jacksonville, Florida. Madden NFL is an American football video game developed by EA sports. This tournament is for competitive players looking to gain large cash prizes. On the day of the shooting, numerous participants gathered around the Jacksonville Landing complex. It was an important day for these gamers as they were preparing for a Madden 18 video game tournament. The winners of this tournament would advance to a tournament in Las Vegas where they could win large cash prizes. However, one of these contestants had different plans.

David Katz, a 24-year-old gamer from Baltimore, participated in this tournament. He won multiple Madden tournaments previously in 2017, and claimed that he “was one of the better players.” He was excelling in his gaming career, and it seemed as if nothing could go wrong. However, he had a history of psychiatric issues due to his parents’ divorce and multiple police visits at his family house.

According to Jacksonville police officer, Mike Williams, Katz was able to legally buy a gun, and he brought it to the venue and opened fire killing two people and then pulled the trigger on himself. Katz was the sole shooter, and police authorities claimed that Katz “clearly” targeted specific Madden gamers; however, the police have not released a possible motive for his actions. The two gamers killed were identified as Tayler Robertson and Elijah Clayton, both very respected gamers in the Electronic Arts (EA) gaming community.

This is yet another mass shooting incident in Florida, and these are now becoming an imminent problem in the United States. Florida Governor Rick Scott stated, “Why are young men willing to give up their life, or why don’t they value somebody else’s life? We’ve got to figure this out.” Not only does the United States government need to improve their gun control laws, but they also need to find a way to treat people with mental health issues in order to prevent further shootings in the future.