Will the Loch Ness Monster Mystery be Solved?

BBC newsbeat

BBC newsbeat

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

The legend of the Loch Ness monster has been around for many years, but people are still unsure of what was really in the water.

The mystery may not remain for long. A scientist from Wellington, New Zealand is planning on taking a team of researchers to the lake in Scotland to collect DNA samples from the water to determine what species live there.

Neil Gemmell, a professor at the University of Otago, does not believe in the Loch Ness monster, but he still thinks the research will be an adventure and will communicate science along the way.  

Despite the non-believers, there are several theories, such as one that hypothesizes “Nessie” being a long-necked plesiosaur that somehow survived the time when dinosaurs went extinct.

Another theory is that the monster could actually be a sturgeon or a giant catfish. More popularly, many believe that the photo was a hoax and was created by floating logs or strong winds.

Gemmell’s team will take 300 DNA samples from around the lake at varying depths in the water. It is possible to get the creature’s DNA because it may have left traces of feathers, scales, or urine in the water. They will filter the water and extract the DNA.

He says that the DNA results will go into a database that shows known species, and adds that in reality, the study will probably get a nice survey of the biodiversity in the Loch Ness.

If Gemmell doesn’t find anything, believers have already offered alternatives. They say that Nessie may be going on vacation after swimming to the sea via underwater caves.

The results should be out by the end of the year and maybe we will discover the true story of the Loch Ness monster…

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer
Ideliya is a junior staff writer on Falcon News Feed. She runs on the school’s track team as well as the cross country team. Contrary to many people, she prefers cats more than dogs. She also loves learning languages, figure skating, and jumping on trampolines.