Green Hope Athletics 2017-2018 Year in Review

It has been a great year for athletics here at Green Hope this past 2017-2018 school year. The Falcons had a total of seven state titles and many Tri-6 championships. The Fight for 55 was a breeze as Green Hope remained undefeated in the competition with a record of 3-0. Let’s go through the year in review.

The Fall season could have been one of the most successful times. The Volleyball team repeated as state champions, sweeping Hough in the title game with a score of 3-0. This dominance from the team is hoping to continue into next year with many returning players. The Women’s Tennis Team claimed the state title after a perfect season. The team had no seniors and is hoping to repeat in the Fall of 2018. The Men’s Cross Country Team dominated North Carolina, cruising to the state title with a score of 43-119. The team won by 76, a very commanding performance. Other notable performances in the Fall were Football and Men’s Soccer, both teams falling short in the quarterfinals.

The Winter season was also filled with many great performances. The Cheer team claimed the NCCCA title. The Men’s Swimming Team, behind first year coach John Reagan and led by many strong seniors, took the state crown. The team beat South Mecklenburg in the NCHSAA State Meet, claiming their rings. The Men’s Indoor Track and Field Team continued their impressive year, cruising to the second part of the “Triple Crown” for running sports. The team was lead by many distance runners including Ian Delgado. Also, Ben Trubey and Carter Pehr scored crucial points in their respective field events. The Men’s Basketball team also made history, winning Green Hope’s first conference championship.

The Spring season brought yet another state championship in the form of the Men’s Outdoor Track and Field Team. The team finished the “Triple Crown,” which is winning Cross Country and both Track and Field state championships in one school year. Green Hope was the first 4A team to ever accomplish this feat. The team was loaded with seniors that worked hard over the past four years behind coaching from Jason Bochert, who is stepping down as head coach going into the 2018 school year. This senior running squad will go down as one of the best in North Carolina history and they changed the culture of running at Green Hope. The Women’s Soccer Team also had a productive season, making it to the NCHSAA Quarterfinals, falling to Leesville in a hard fought game.

Green Hope claimed their ninth straight Wells Fargo Cup, hoping to win many more in years to come. This was a record setting year for Green Hope and will go down as one of the best athletic years in school history.

The Sports Table will be signing off after a year full of memorable articles and moments. Seniors Peyton Barish, Sean Petersen, Bradley Stewart, and Ryan Kemper will be leaving us. We wish them well in their college careers. We hope to be able to fill in their absence next year with top quality talent. The Sports Table has bigger aspirations for our role in the Falcon News Feed next year with many great things to come. It has been a pleasure to cover Green Hope Athletics this year as Co-Sports Editor and am hoping to be back with even better coverage next year.

Xoxo,

Brandon Morton

Brandon Morton, Staff Writer
Brandon Morton is a first time writer this year for Falcon News Feed. He believes that he is a semi-professional water polo player. His favorite hobby outside of sports is to take long walks on the beach with his dog in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Brandon’s favorite dish is grilled ham and cheese...