The Avengers Keep the Box Office

Alex Price, Staff Writer

For the third week in a row, Avengers: Infinity War was #1 in the box office with $62 million, making a total of over $500 million domestically, becoming the second fastest to make it there. The only movie who did it faster was Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 2015. Second and third place last weekend was taken by two debuting movies, Life of the Party and Breaking In, making $17.8 million and $17.6 million respectively. Rounding off the top five were Overboard and A Quiet Place.

Compared to the weekend last year, this year saw a $3 million increase over last year. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 saw a 55% decrease from its first week. It also saw the debut of movies that weren’t remembered particularly well. Snatched, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Lowriders, and The Wall all debuted. All of those movies combined made less on the weekend than Guardians of the Galaxy which made $65 million.

There are three new movies releasing this weekend. Book Club is a comedy about four elderly friends reading 50 Shades of Grey together in a book club. It stars Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, and Mary Steenburgen. Show Dogs is a family comedy about a police dog going undercover in a dog show. It stars Will Arnett and Stanley Tucci. Deadpool 2 is an action comedy about a mutant forming a team to stop a time-traveler named Cable. It stars Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin.