Secret to Better Grades

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

Sitting at your desk and studying might be a reasonable way to get better grades, but you shouldn’t stop just there.

Research conducted on college students in Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan tracked the grades and study habits of 266 undergraduate students. The researchers controlled variables such as gender and their major to rule out any discrepancies.

After controlling these variables, the results showed that on a 4.0 GPA scale, the students who were exercising seven days a week had on average a 0.4 higher GPA than those who were not exercising.

Although the researchers did control the time spent studying, earlier research showed that students who exercise regularly typically spend more time studying than students who don’t.

A study published by the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise found that the more hours a student spends studying, the more they exercise.

If you don’t already exercise regularly you should definitely start now! You can start by simply going on walks and then eventually build it up to a jog. It is also imperative to incorporate strength training to tone your body.

Swimming, yoga, and kickboxing are fun alternatives that may keep you from getting bored. Make sure to switch it up.

When you exercise, your body releases endorphins, a neurotransmitter that blocks pain. It’s a natural form of pain relief and will wake you up and make you happier.

Undoubtedly, exercise has tons of benefits, so adding it to your daily routine may increase your brain’s alertness and help your attention span, thus leading to better grades.

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.