Secret to Better Grades

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

Sitting at your desk and studying might be a reasonable way to get better grades, but you shouldn’t stop just there.

Research conducted on college students in Saginaw Valley State University in Michigan tracked the grades and study habits of 266 undergraduate students. The researchers controlled variables such as gender and their major to rule out any discrepancies.

After controlling these variables, the results showed that on a 4.0 GPA scale, the students who were exercising seven days a week had on average a 0.4 higher GPA than those who were not exercising.

Although the researchers did control the time spent studying, earlier research showed that students who exercise regularly typically spend more time studying than students who don’t.

A study published by the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise found that the more hours a student spends studying, the more they exercise.

If you don’t already exercise regularly you should definitely start now! You can start by simply going on walks and then eventually build it up to a jog. It is also imperative to incorporate strength training to tone your body.

Swimming, yoga, and kickboxing are fun alternatives that may keep you from getting bored. Make sure to switch it up.

When you exercise, your body releases endorphins, a neurotransmitter that blocks pain. It’s a natural form of pain relief and will wake you up and make you happier.

Undoubtedly, exercise has tons of benefits, so adding it to your daily routine may increase your brain’s alertness and help your attention span, thus leading to better grades.

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer
Ideliya is a junior staff writer on Falcon News Feed. She runs on the school’s track team as well as the cross country team. Contrary to many people, she prefers cats more than dogs. She also loves learning languages, figure skating, and jumping on trampolines.