March for Science

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

The second annual 2018 March for Science was held on Saturday, April 14th. Crowds of people marched in cities worldwide, advocating their views on importance of science. Although there were fewer participants than last year’s March, the people were still dedicated to their cause. The March’s main event was held in Washington, D.C., but places around the world participated as far as Durban, South Africa, through marches, rallies, and science exhibitions.

One of the main topics spoken of at the March was how scientific information and education should be available to everyone and not only limited to scientists. This could be done by being more accepting to minorities, such as people of color and women.

Nearly 84% of professionals in science and engineering fields in the U.S. are white or Asian males. There is a $15,900 annual salary gap between males and females in STEM related jobs. Stats like these go to show how skewed the STEM field is. By encouraging women and minorities to delve into the field of science, technology, engineering, and math, this data could be changed. Our future world depends on jobs like these. With collaboration in the STEM field, innovated minds will be able to think of ideas to solve the problems of our future.

This is why the March of Science should be looked at as taking a step towards creating an equal world. Corey Welch, Iowa State University’s director of the STEM scholars program, said, “The challenges are real for underrepresented students in science… the diversity research clearly demonstrates bringing all the people to the table- to the scientific table- leads to better ideas, kinder, more ethical solutions, and always a more informed public policy.” People of all different backgrounds, races, and nationalities, are able to come together despite their differences.

The first step to creating an equal world is offering equal education around the world. Education spurs free thought and innovation-the tools needed to make changes. Although a seemingly simple solution, women and minorities fight every day for their education, while many of us don’t even appreciate our own.

Education has the power to bring people together. However, it is still something that causes challenges and obstacles to certain people, as it is not offered equally. With organizations like the March for Science advocating for equal education along with many others, change may soon occur. Times are changing, and we should remain optimistic for an equal world and future.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!