U.S. Leaving the Iran Nuclear Deal

SHEALAH CRAIGHEAD

SHEALAH CRAIGHEAD

Alex Price, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, May 8th, President Donald Trump announced that the United States would be leaving the Iran Nuclear Deal that was enacted three years ago by former President Barack Obama. The Iran Nuclear Deal was an agreement between the United States and six other countries, including Iran, that would limit the nuclear capacity of Iran for an extensive period of time and in return, sanctions on oil would be lifted. It was seen by many as Obama’s crowning achievement because it opened the possibility for a more friendly relationship between the U.S. and Iran. However many others saw this deal as a terrible decision that would be abused by Iran’s government. President Trump has promised we’d leave the deal for a long time, and on Tuesday, that promise came to fruition.

Because the U.S. will no longer be held to the deal, the government is free to impose sanctions on Iran, who has said that they will continue to hold up their end of the deal with the other five countries that were involved. U.S. sanctions pose a threat to many European companies that have business currently happening in Iran. President Trump has fallen under criticism from many parties including European and Iranian leadership and former U.S. Presidents Obama and Carter. Trump has however garnered support from Saudi Arabia and Israel.

This seems to many people as a way to send a message to North Korea ahead of Trump’s talks with Kim Jong-Un. Shortly after this announcement, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew to the capital of North Korea, Pyongyang, in preparation for the upcoming summit between Trump and Kim Jong-Un. The next day, President Trump announced that three Americans that had been held in North Korea were being released.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”