Trump Should Win the Nobel Peace Prize

Gage Skidmore

Gage Skidmore

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

If two years ago, I told you that lucrative businessman Donald Trump would beat the ‘most qualified candidate to ever run for President’ and be knee deep into his first term in the White House, you probably wouldn’t believe it.  If I upped the ante and said that Trump, the candidate who the mainstream media declared unfit to serve in the Oval Office, should receive the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize, you would have most likely checked me into a mental institution.  Yet, here we are. Not only is Donald J. Trump the President of the United States of America, having brewed the ‘Silent Majority’ storm into a hurricane big enough to push him over 270 electoral votes, he now appears to be the frontrunner for the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize.

Alfred Nobel, a Swedish scientist, created the Nobel Prizes in 1895, as a part of his will.  Nobel created five categories, Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Medicine, and Peace, of which distinguished individuals would be awarded due to their actions and contributions to the specific field.  According to the will of Nobel, the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize should have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.”  Thanks to the President’s aggressive commitment to battling with and standing up to North Korea, Kim Jong-Un has double-downed on his denuclearization efforts and has met with the President of South Korea.  Having watched Trump do something that the past twelve Presidents fail to do (ending Kim Jong-Un’s and the North Korean regime’s feared status of being a hothead for nuclear activity), Trump firmly positions himself as the crux of the Nobel Peace Prize ‘requirements.’  

Now, if you think this is some radical, right-wing idea that would never come to fruition, you are in for a rude awakening.  Moon Jae-in, the President of South Korea, has said, “President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize.” The President of Nigeria, Muhummadu Buhari, also backed Trump’s significant involvement in the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula stating, “President Trump deserves a great deal of credit for his statesmanly role in transforming, so dramatically, the cause of events in that region.” Even bettors in the United Kingdom have gotten behind Trump’s campaign for the Nobel Peace Prize, giving the leader of the free world 2/1 odds of taking it home.

The recipients of the Prize are chosen in October and, as of now, Trump seems to be one of the candidates with the greatest chance of winning.  Un has agreed to meet with Trump at the DMZ and their meeting, which should take place in the coming weeks, will not only give the world an indication of whether or not the threat of nuclear war has been seriously popushed aside for the time being, but also if Trump is truly in a position to win the Nobel Peace Prize less than two years into his presidency.  My bet is he will.

Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball....