The Box Office Becomes a Quiet Place

Alex Price, Staff Writer

A week after Ready Player One blew the box office away, making $40 million and coming in #1 at the box office, A Quiet Place takes its place, making $50 million, shocking the world. Ready Player One made another big splash this weekend, coming in second, making just over $25 million. Third place went to Blockers, which made about $21 million. The top four with Black Panther, which surpassed Titanic in the box office. Black Panther has made a domestic total of $665 million in the box office, with a worldwide total of $1.3 billion. I Can Only Imagine is still defying expectation, making over $8 million in its fourth week, with a total of almost $70 million.

This weekend did very well compared to this weekend last year. This year, the weekend made a total of $164,484,221 compared to last year’s $120,072,379. Last year, the weekend saw the debut of Smurfs: The Lost Village at #3, making $13 million, as well as the second week of The Boss Baby, which saw a 50% decline in box office revenue. However, it still made $26 million.

Next weekend sees the debut of Borg vs. Enroe, Rampage, Truth or Dare, and Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero. Borg vs. Enroe is a sports drama about a famous tennis rivalry from the 1980’s. It released internationally in 2017 and it was a big success. It stars Shia LaBeouf and Sverrir Gudnason. Rampage is an action film based on the video game of the same name. It stars Dwayne Johnson, Malin Åkerman, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Truth or Dare is a horror movie about a group of friends playing a game of Truth or Dare that turns deadly. It stars Lucy Hale, Tyler Posey, and Violett Beane. Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero is an animated film about a stray dog that becomes a hero in World War I. The film is based on a true story. It stars Logan Lerman, Helena Bonham Carter, and Gérard Depardieu.