An Uprising in the Box Office

Alex Price, Staff Writer

For five weeks, Black Panther was not only the king of Wakanda but the king of the box office, amassing a total worldwide gross of $1,237,316,236. And while that number will continue to go up, Black Panther’s time at the top has come to a close. Pacific Rim Uprising debuted last weekend and made an astounding $28 million, topping Black Panther’s $16 million. Coming in third was I Can Only Imagine which saw on a 19% decline in gross in its second weekend, which is impressive, especially when compared to other films in their second week. Tomb Raider saw a 55% decline and Love, Simon saw a 33% decline.

Pacific Rim Uprising was facing an uphill battle. Many of the cast from the first film didn’t return and it’s been five years since the release of the first film. Pacific Rim saw a successful time in theaters, making $37 million in its first weekend, a weekend that saw the debut of Grown Ups 2 and was the second week for Despicable Me 2. It ended its run with a total of $411 million worldwide, and while Pacific Rim Uprising made less domestically, it has already made $150 million worldwide, with the foreign market making up 81.4% of that total.

This weekend last year saw the second weekend of Beauty and the Beast making $90 million, and it saw the debut of Power Rangers. Those two movies together made more than the weekend made this year and the weekend in total made over $202 million. This year saw a 41% decline, making only $128,674,894.

New releases this weekend include Ready Player One, God’s Not Dead: A Light in the Darkness, and Tyler Perry’s Acrimony. Ready Player One, unlike most new films, is releasing on Thursday. It is a young adult sci-fi action film. It’s about a teenager looking for an Easter Egg in a virtual reality universe, leading to his discovery of a whole new world. It stars Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, and Ben Mendelsohn. God’s Not Dead: A Light in the Darkness is a Christian drama, the third in its series, about a pastor who has to deal with the aftermath of his church being burned down. It stars David A.R. White, Shane Harper, and John Corbett. Tyler Perry’s Acrimony is a thriller about a woman who becomes enraged after being betrayed by her husband. It stars Taraji P. Henson, Lyriq Bent, and Crystal Stewart.