“American Idol” is Back

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

After a two-year break, the next season of “American Idol” will air this Sunday, March 11, on the ABC Television Network from 8 p.m to 10 p.m. Ryan Seacrest will return to host the awards show, and the judges for this returning season are Luke Bryan, Katy Perry, and Lionel Richie. Beginning in August, auditions began as the “American Idol” bus traveled across the country to 23 different cities. Auditions could also be submitted through an online video and posted on social media using the hashtag #TheNextIdol. Livestream options were also available.

The first season of “American Idol” aired in September 2002 on Fox. By 2007, the show had 30 million viewers. Since then judges and voters have determined the next “idol” of America. Some of the previous judges included Mariah Carey, Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, Harry Connick Jr., and Jennifer Lopez. A few of the most famous American Idols are Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Scotty McCreery, and Fantasia Barrino.

After the ratings declined and the show lost many watchers to the “Voice,” American Idol announced that the season of 2016 would be its last. Fans are excited to have the show back this year on ABC. The president of ABC Entertainment, Channing Dungey, stated, “‘American Idol’ is a pop-culture staple that left the air too soon.” Thousands of singers hope to be the next winner, and fans look forward to voting for their favorites!

Who will be the next Idol?

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons,...