Do You Have Your Ion Apple?

Ben Carawan, News Editor

Apple is one of the largest technology companies in the world and their devices are used in all four corners of the world. However, in recent months, Apple revealed to the world that they slow down devices in order to enable the phones to last longer. Many users already expected that Apple slowed down phones on purpose, but now it has been confirmed by the tech giant itself. To help combat this issue, Apple will replace phone batteries for only $29, instead of the regular $79.

On their website, Apple says that as the lithium-ion batteries, of which are located in their phones, age, they become less effective and could power down without warning. In software update iOS 10.2.1, Apple released a technology that “improves power management” to protect the battery and the device. A similar update was released for the iPhone 7 series in software update iOS 11.2.

Apple said that they would never slow down their customers’ phones on purpose, and that “making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of [making customers happy].” The company will continue working to make sure batteries in the iPhones last as long as possible.   

To earn customers’ trust again, Apple will replace batteries in the iPhone SE, iPhone 6 series, iPhone 6S series, iPhone 7 series, iPhone 8 series, and the iPhone X for a discounted price. To get a $29 battery replacement, either take it to an Apple Store or an authorized retailer or send it off to Apple for replacement. Be advised that the last option could take up to several days. The lowered battery replacement price will be available until December 31, 2018. It is expected that Apple will be working hard to make sure their phones are at optimal performance without sacrificing device speeds in the future. Image credit: Apple, Inc.