Snapchat Stock Tanks After Update

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

With nearly 25 million followers, Kylie Jenner has a large influence over Snapchat, being its most popular celebrity user. On Wednesday, February 21st,  Jenner tweeted, “Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me…ugh this is so sad.” On Thursday, February 22nd, the SNAP stock dropped 6%, about $1.3 billion, a direct result of Jenner’s tweet.

Many Snapchat users have criticized the app’s new update which completely changed the layout of the app by moving around features in different places. They declared it “confusing to navigate,” and over 1.2 million have signed a petition that calls for the app to revert the app back to how it was before the design. Freshman Megan Mou, a longtime user of Snapchat, stated, “I am grateful that I haven’t gotten the new Snapchat update.”

In response to this petition, Snapchat announced an update that is directed at making it easier for users to look at content they want to see. “We hear you, and appreciate that you took the time to let us know how you feel. We completely understand the new Snapchat has felt uncomfortable for many,” Snapchat wrote. Their update will apply tabs to the Friends and Discover sections, which will make it easier for users to view Stories.

In addition their stock dropping, Snapchat also faces competition with Instagram, which has “copied Snapchat” in some ways, causing Snapchat users to migrate over to Instagram.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross...

1 Comment

One Response to “Snapchat Stock Tanks After Update”

1. Griffin burke on February 26th, 2018 9:56 am

It’s not that bad tho

Let your voice be heard.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Snapchat Stock Tanks After Update