Basketball Sweeps the Tri-6

Green Hope Athletics

Green Hope Athletics

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

Both the men’s and women’s Green Hope basketball teams won their respective regular season conference championships.  That earned them a number one seed in the conference tournament.  After wins over Jordan and Cary, the teams found themselves in the Tri-6 Championship Game.  The men’s team had a rematch against Panther Creek and dominated, pulling out a 68-58 win.  The women’s team jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, knocking off Riverside 63-51.  Green Hope swept both the men’s and women’s regular season and conference tournament championship, establishing themselves as the gold standard for basketball in the Tri-6.

After the 1st Quarter, Green Hope held onto a 18-16 lead over Panther Creek.  The Falcons extended their lead to four at the halftime break after a low-scoring 2nd Quarter.  Coach Green’s squad then jumped on the Catamounts after halftime, pushing their lead to 14 entering the 4th Quarter.  The Falcons put the game away in the final quarter, getting up by as much as 20 points.  A late-run by the Catamounts cut into the final score, but the Falcons dominated Panther Creek for the entire game.  Senior Ryan Shaffer led the team in scoring with 22 points.  Junior PJ Fenton had a monster game, scoring 18 points, grabbing 15 boards, and recording 2 blocks.  The win earned Green Hope their second consecutive conference tournament championship.

The women’s team found themselves in an early deficit, but an 11-0 run to end the 1st Quarter put the Falcons up 13-4.  From there, Green Hope never looked back.  Up 26-15 at halftime,  the girl’s saw their lead be cut to ten.  With under six minutes to go, Green Hope held onto a ten-point lead.  The Falcons stopped any last ditch effort by Riverside, winning 63-51.  Nia Washington, the Tri-6 Player of the Year, led the team with 26 points, including 22 second-half points.  Sammi Sever, also, had a big game for the Falcons, scoring 20 points.

Both teams received byes for the first round of the State Playoffs.  The men play the winner of Panther Creek-Sanderson and the women play the winner of Apex Friendship-Knightdale on Thursday.  Both games are at home, so come out and support!

Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball....