Basketball Headed to Conference Championship

Ryan Kemper, Sports Writer

Wednesday, February 14th and Thursday, February 15th, your Men’s and Women’s Basketball team competed in the second round of the Tri-6 Conference Tournament. Both teams walked away with victories to clinch a spot on the court in the championship game Friday night!  

The women started off the two day stretch right with a solid 53-40 victory over Cary High School.  The team relied on their usual blend of stifling defense to shut Cary down and look to keep it going Friday.  They are preparing for a rematch with Riverside, who will have the home court advantage Friday night.  Riverside is a tough matchup, they have beaten the girls this season at home, and will provide a great last game before the state playoffs begin.  Says senior Catherine Holbrook, “Being the number one seed in the tournament we are heading into the game with confidence, but we want to avenge our loss on their home turf the last time we played there.”  Look for big performances from Holbrook and Nia Washington to lead the team to victory in the first inaugural Tri-6 Tournament.

The men’s team advanced to the next round with a win over a tough Jordan squad, by a score of 67-63.  Seniors Ryan Shaffer and Jordan Bates-Williams stuffed the stat sheet, as Shaffer recorded a double-double, and Bates-Williams ended up with a whopping 8 steals in an incredible defensive performance!  It was a great all around effort by a team that is definitely still the favorite to win the conference tournament, as a rematch with Panther Creek in the championship game Friday night will be a sight to see.  The men are definitely looking for revenge over the only team that has been able to beat them in conference play, and want to claim their second straight conference tournament title and head into the state playoffs with momentum.  When asked about the chance to play Panther Creek again, senior Ryan Sikorski responded, “It’s a big game that all of us are ready for.  The conference tournament is on the line and the series against Panther Creek is up for grabs as well”.  Look for another big game from Shaffer and Bates-Williams, as well as junior PJ Fenton to claim the hardware and bragging rights over Panther Creek.

If you see a member of either team in the hall Friday be sure to wish them good luck before their big games!