Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Ryan Kemper, Sports Writer

The weekend of January 26th and 27th, the Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track and Field Teams headed to JDL Fast Track in Winston Salem to compete in the RHF Pro Fit Invitational and turned in an impressive number of individual and relay performances.  The Men walked away with victories in the 4x800m relay, 3200m, 1000m, and had top five finishers in the 1600m, 3200m, 4x400m, Long Jump, and Triple Jump.  The Women claimed a top five finish in the 4x400m to end the meet on Saturday, and had solid performances all around.

The meet started on Friday night and was off with a bang, as the Men’s 4x800m relay of junior Mike Biddle and seniors Daniel Vo, Sean Petersen and Ian Delgado won the first event of the night with a fast performance that served as a final tune-up before the state meet February 10th.  Later that night, senior Peyton Barish claimed a victory in the 3200m posting an NC#1 time and New Indoor Track School Record of 9:30.07, running away from the field over the last half of the race! Fellow senior Ryan Kemper took 5th place running NC#5 9:36.06.  In the Women’s Race, sophomore Kelsey Vogel took 9th place running NC#18 11:39.11.  

The night was capped off in the 1000m with three great performances from the fast section.  Seniors Ares Epps and Matthew Kehn both ran state qualifying performances, and senior Sean Petersen made a big move with two laps to go and ran all the way to victory in a great showing heading into the State Championship.  Other notable performances from the night session included junior Bailey Fowler taking 14th in the Women’s 1000m and both the Men’s and Women’s Team secured top 15 finishes in the 4x200m relay.

The Saturday morning session also was marked by a number of great Green Hope performances highlighted by a great performance by senior Ben Trubey in the Long Jump and Triple Jump.  Trubey also set a New Indoor Track School Record, jumping 20’07, taking 5th place in the Long Jump, and he followed it up with a repeat 5th Place performance in the Triple Jump later that day.  Next up was the 1600m, where senior Ares Epps doubled back from his solid 1000m performance the night before to take 3rd overall, running an NC #3 4:25.70.  Fellow senior Daniel Vo took 8th overall running 4:29.12.

The Falcons capped off the meet with the last event of the day, the 4x400m relay.  The girls started off the event taking 5th place with a solid time of 4:09.36.  In the second to last heat of the day, the boys team of Biddle, Petersen, Epps and Delgado ran away with the section posting a NCHSAA 4A leading time of 3:28.06 and taking 3rd overall in the race.

In what was definitely a solid meet for the Falcons, a good amount of momentum was gained in the last big invitational of the Indoor Track season.  Be sure to support both your Men’s and Women’s Team over the next two weeks as they prepare for the Indoor State Championships on Saturday, February 10th!

• Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Indoor Track

Green Hope Men’s Swimming Wins State Title

• Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Indoor Track

Green Hope Weekly Wrap-up 2/5-2/11

• Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Indoor Track

Second Super Saturday Preview

• Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Daniel Vo Commitment

• Indoor Track Gears Up For States

Baseball

Falcons Finish Fight for 55

Indoor Track Gears Up For States