Green Hope Wrestling Grabs Two Conference Wins

GH Athletics

GH Athletics

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Wednesday, the 10th of January in 2018 will go down in Green Hope Wrestling history as the team battled to two big victories. The two matches would determine the team’s 2017-2018 season. The first dual, a TRI-6 conference match against Athens Drive, was a must-win for Green Hope in order to make it back to the State Dual Tournament. The second match, another conference match and a battle for a Fight for 55 point, was against Panther Creek, another must-win.

Through grit and determination, Green Hope moved closer to going back to States, which, if it happens, will be the first time Green Hope has gone in back-to-back years in a decade.

The first dual against Athens Drive was a revenge match. Athens Drive beat Green Hope by three points last year. This time, the Falcons scored a 37-36 victory. This is the closest score in a dual Green Hope has this season. GH started off strong with two pins from two captains, Tyler Couture and Jacob Benavente. Tyler Couture was escorted by his parents for senior night earlier and made his parents proud scoring a pin in 52 seconds. Lucas Laszacs, Nick Castro  scored pins as well in the back and forth match. The final match was decisive. Aryan Anerao scored a pin at 120 lbs. in the second period to give Green Hope the victory over Athens Drive.

With renewed motivation and aggression, Green Hope attacked Panther Creek in the quest for the “Fight for 55” trophy. With pins from Tyler Couture, Lucas Laszacs, Aryan Anerao, and Mayank Rawat, Green Hope won 56-21.

Congratulations to seniors Tyler Couture, Vijay Lohar, Chris Reveron, Lucas Laszacs, Farouk Osman, Wil Landry, Andrew Becvar, Nick Castro, and Carter Etgen all of whom celebrated the last home match of their Green Hope careers.