GHHS Running Trail Construction

from Wikimedia Commons

from Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

Beginning this weekend, construction will begin for a new running trail. This trail will be a little less than a mile long and will be in the woods around Green Hope. Runners will be able to use this trail to train, and some meets could possibly be held here. As of now, cross country runners have to leave the school campus to run, but this trail will provide a new location for these runners to train. The trail could also be enjoyed by the community. Volunteers are meeting at Green Hope this Saturday to begin clearing the path where the future trail will lie.

I asked the head coach of cross country, Mr. Miragliuolo, a few questions about this new trail:

Where did the idea for the new running trail come from?

“I figured it was about time. I thought about it for a long time. I walked out in the woods to figure out if it would be possible, and it looks like it will be possible.”

What do you hope to get out of this new running trail?

“A place for distance runners to train and also a place for all Green Hope students and teachers to use. Hopefully it will be a really nice trail in the woods, similar to Bond Park.”

When would you like the trail to be finished?

“It will probably take two stages. I’m hoping that it is available for running by the upcoming fall season. It may take another year to get it in the condition we would like it.”

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.