Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

Green Hope Football prevailed agains Leesville Road.

GH Talon

GH Talon

Peyton Barish, Sports Section Editor

Friday November 17th, 2017 was one of the biggest days in Green Hope football history.  The Falcons had received a first-round bye after dominating the Tri-6 conference, and running the table after a heartbreaking loss to Sanderson.  This season the Falcons have a real shot to match the phenomenal season that the 2005 Green Hope football team had.  Green Hope came into this game with a lot of confidence after beating Leesville earlier in the season 28-21.  The game was nowhere near as close as the Falcons gashed the Pride’s defense scoring 42 points to Leesville’s measly 23.  

The scoring was opened by Leesville Road who scored two straight rushing touchdowns taking the lead 13-0.  Blake Watson made sure the Falcons wouldn’t be scoreless for long, returning the kickoff back to Leesville’s 17.  Jordyn Adams took a screen pass to the end zone cutting Leesville’s lead to 6.  The Falcons scored again on a 40 yard bomb to Jordyn Adams from Willie Taylor taking a permanent lead for the rest of the game.  Watson capped off the half with a 26 yard run off of a jet sweep that almost resulted in him being taken down in the backfield.  After being down by 13 points early in the half, the Falcons had scored 20 unanswered points, and only continued their run in the second half.

Second half scoring opened with a Justen Grant catch and run giving Taylor his third and final touchdown of the night.  After that the Falcons running backs put on a show running all over Leesville’s defense.  Jaquel Watkins and Dylan Washington both scored rushing touchdowns to close out the scoring for Green Hope, which showcased an all-around effort on both sides of the ball.  Paul Robinson added to his ridiculous tackle total with 12 total tackles and one tackle for a loss.  Andrew Becvar added two momentum-killing sacks and defensive captain Ethan Melton added a one-handed interception in traffic to stop a Pride drive in its tracks.

Quarterback Willie Taylor said about the Falcons effort, “We came out a little flat, but once we realized this could be the last game of our season we really turned it up a notch.”  The Falcons have a tough matchup against a hot Garner team who has a storied history in the state playoffs.  Taylor believes the Falcons will need to “execute because the only way we will lose is if we beat ourselves.”  A state quarterfinal win would be the second in school history, and most likely result in a matchup against Wake Forest, one of the top teams in the country.  Taylor feels a little pressure, but nothing he hasn’t dealt with before, and like he said “it’s good pressure.”  Come out Friday November 24th to see the Falcon’s high-octane offense take on the Trojans from Garner for a spot in the state semi-finals.

• Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

FOOTBALL

End of an Era

• Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

FOOTBALL

Falcons Playoff Preview: Leesville Road

• Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

FOOTBALL

GH vs. PC Preview

• Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

FOOTBALL

Record Breaking Homecoming

• Falcon Football Flies by the Pride

FOOTBALL

NFL Week 6 Preview

Falcon Football Flies by the Pride