California Shooting Rampage

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, November 14, there was a shooting in California that left 5 people dead and more wounded. The shooter, Kevin Neal, went around a town in Northern California and started randomly shooting in several locations. The gunman’s wife was said to be the first victim of the shooting and was found dead underneath their home on Tuesday night; officials say that she was killed on Monday night. On Tuesday morning the shooter, who was armed with handguns and a semiautomatic rifle, left his home and first shot a woman who he had a continuing conflict with. He then began to shoot people driving in cars, walking across the street, or sitting in their homes. After doing several drive-by shootings, the gunman arrived at a school. He repeatedly fired towards the school before driving off, wounding seven children. The suspect was killed at the scene after he was shooting at police and they returned fire.

Gregg Cohen, the Tehama County District Attorney, stated that the gunman was a “deranged, paranoid killer” who previously had trouble with the law; he was charged with confronting several female neighbors. Additionally, Neal was charged with robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and false imprisonment. Following the incident, he was ordered to give up his firearms. Cohen wasn’t sure whether or not he surrendered his weapons, but officials say that the shooter built his own firearms illegally. Kevin Neal’s sister admitted that he had a history of mental illness for the past 20 years. She went on to say that his mental health began to decline traumatically in the past year.

This shooting began to spark controversy about gun control yet again since the gunman wasn’t allowed to possess guns and he had them anyway.

California Shooting Rampage