Is Raleigh a PRIME Location for Amazon’s HQ2?

Amazon's current headquarters

Amazon's current headquarters

Amazon

Amazon

Amazon's current headquarters

Ben Carawan, News Section Editor

Amazon.com has been one of the largest internet retailers in the United States since the 1990s, and since then, Amazon has expanded massively. Since they acquired Whole Foods in August, they are currently looking for a place to build their second headquarters in order to expand. Their current and only headquarters so far is in Seattle. Many different cities are reaching out to Amazon and informing the online retailer about why their town would be the perfect spot for their new headquarters, which will be known as HQ2. One potential location that Amazon could consider is the North Carolina state capital, Raleigh.

This is a list of current effects caused by Amazon’s current North American Headquarters in Seattle, Washington.

The new headquarters would create 50,000 jobs in the Triangle and would lead to much more development of the Raleigh-Durham area. If a new headquarters is built, more infrastructure would have to be built to support the influx of industry and it could lead to more overcrowding challenges than the Triangle already faces. The only category that Amazon requests that Raleigh-Durham cannot deliver yet is a mass-transit system. The area only has city buses at the moment. While the Raleigh-Durham area is busy trying to lure Amazon in, Charlotte is doing the same thing. Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and is a more industrial community that realistically has the space to expand. They also have a light rail system that runs through the town. Other locations that are submitting bids within the state include the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) and the Hickory areas. Wherever the new headquarters will go, it is expected to cost about $5 billion and will contain about 8 million square feet of space. It will make about 50,000 jobs available to citizens and will lead to more development in the selected city and cause other industries and infrastructure to expand. At the latest count, Amazon has received 238 site proposals from all over North America. Even cities located in Canada have submitted proposals to Amazon.

Amazon requests many different things for their HQ2 including a population of at least one million people, a good and stable environment, close to a big city with an airport, and access to major highways. The only US states that did not send a proposal to Amazon are Arkansas, Hawaii, Montana, The Dakotas, Vermont, and Wyoming. It is not yet known which location will be the prime spot for HQ2, but it will be an ongoing competition until the end.

All images associated with this article are courtesy of Amazon.com, Inc.

Ben Carawan, News Editor

This Ben’s second year as a member of the Falcon News Feed. He is a member of an ever-decreasing population of people who have of lived in Cary their whole lives. Ben uses his native Cary skills to primarily cover local news and student life. In his free time, Ben likes driving, but is awful at it.