Are Late Night Talk Shows Too Political?

United States President Barack Obama talks with Jimmy Fallon during a taping of

United States President Barack Obama talks with Jimmy Fallon during a taping of "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" at Memorial Hall on the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill campus in Chapel Hill, North Carolina on 24 April 2012.

whitehouse.gov

whitehouse.gov

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Many people think that late night talk shows like “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” and “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” have gotten too political since the recent election season. Although I see where those people are coming from, I think that it is the job of late night talk shows to take news stories and make light of them.  Politics are very prominent in the news right now. I decided to get some other people’s opinion on the matter and did some interviews about the topic with four students here at Green Hope: Gelila Petros, Rehnuma Ahmed, Nirmiti Nerkar, and Yewon Park.

FNF: What is your favorite late night talk show?
Nirmiti: I like Jimmy Fallon’s show the best.
Gelila: “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” is my favorite late night show.
Rehnuma: James Corden. The Late Late Show is so funny.
Yewon: I think James Corden is the funniest.

FNF: Do you think that the quality of your favorite show has gone down since the election season?
Nirmiti: No, the jokes on his show have improved since Trump got elected.
Gelila: No, Stephen Colbert’s show has gotten so much more popular since Trump got elected, people love his monologues.
Rehnuma: No, Corden is still funny, but I don’t watch his show as much anymore so I’m not exactly sure.
Yewon: No, a lot of his shows are based on politics, so it’s funnier than it was before the election.

FNF: Have any of the other late night talk shows gone down in quality since the election season?
Nirmiti: Jimmy Kimmel had one episode about the election that was actually pretty lame, but other than that, I don’t think any of the shows have gotten worse.
Gelila: Some of them. James Corden’s show used to be funny but he started to make the same jokes over and over again and it got boring.
Rehnuma: No, the shows I watch aren’t as political as some shows, so their Trump jokes are more spread out, so I can appreciate them more.
Yewon: Yes. A lot of shows only talk about politics, and that has gotten old, but James Corden has a reasonable amount of political jokes.

FNF: Is it appropriate for late night talk shows to discuss politics?
Nirmiti: Yes, it is ok. There is a lot to say and a lot of jokes to be made about our current political environment
Gelila: Yes, it’s called freedom of speech.
Rehnuma: Yes, because they make politics funny, and they are comedy shows. People don’t get mad about the jokes because everyone understands what the jokes are meant to do, make people laugh.
Yewon: Yes, they have the right to express their viewpoint, they aren’t doing anything wrong. But it is risky for them, some people might not agree with what they say.

Although this is just a small sample of the student body of Green Hope, the students interviewed seemed to all share the opinion that it is acceptable for late night talk shows to make political jokes. This interview does not display everyone’s opinion, but it is clear that late night talk shows discuss topics that viewers will laugh about. It seems that Jimmy Kimmel’s politicized monologues are not going anywhere any time soon.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”