Green Hope Sports Weekly Wrap-Up: 10/16-10/22

Bradley Stewart, Sports Writer

With the State Playoffs approaching for nearly every fall sport, the intensity has been turned up.  Green Hope responded to the pressure with another dominating week in athletics.  Here is a weekly wrap-up of last week’s athletic performances:   

Football:

The Green Hope football team demolished Riverside, 31-14, on Senior Night. Senior Paul Robinson ran for two early touchdowns to essentially put the game away.  Dylon Washington also scored for Green Hope.   Willie Taylor threw a 60 yard touchdown pass to Jordyn Adams to extend the Falcons’ lead.  The defense also came up big with Ethan Melton and Devon Mickens’ interceptions and an Andrew Becvar blocked punt.  Green Hope is now 7-2 and is ranked 10th in the News & Observer Top 25.

The Week Ahead:

Friday @ 7:00 at Jordan

Cross Country:

Green Hope men’s and women’s cross country won the Tri-6 Conference Championship last Wednesday.  Peyton Barish and Finn McBride finished first and second in the race, both finishing in just under 15:40.  In the girl’s race, Kelsey Vogel, Tess Davila, and Zoey Davila, finished second, third, and fourth, respectively.  

The Week Ahead:

Saturday @ 8:30 in the NCHSAA 4A Mideast Regionals

Men’s Soccer:

The Green Hope soccer team responded from their tie against Panther Creek with three wins this past week. The Falcons crushed Athens Drive 6-1, on Monday.  Junior Jake Giacona scored the only goal in last Wednesday’s 1-0 win over Riverside.  Sam Durand, Dylan Enseling, and Melaku Phillips all scored for the Falcons in their 3-1 win over Cary.  If Green Hope wins one of their final two games, they will clinch the Tri-6 Conference Championship.

The Week Ahead:

Monday @ 6:30 vs Jordan

Wednesday @ 6:30 vs Panther Creek

Volleyball:

The Green Hope volleyball team won their only match last week which was on Senior Night against Panther Creek.  The Falcons won the match by a score of 3-1.  The Tri-6 Champions will attempt to defend their state championship, beginning with their first match of the playoffs on Tuesday.  

The Week Ahead:

Tuesday @ 7:00 vs Heritage in the State Playoffs

Women’s Tennis:

The women’s tennis team dominated their first round NCHSAA playoff opponent and is into the second round.  Katie Andreini was a Tri-6 Singles conference champion, regional champion, and Tri-6 Player of the Year.  Sophia Gray and Rhinda Sudhini won the Tri-6 doubles championship and the regional doubles championship.  

The Week Ahead:

Tuesday @ 3:30 vs Apex in the State Playoffs

Women’s Golf:  

The Green Hope women’s golf team competed in the NCHSAA Regional Qualifying matches last Monday.  Anika Bhatnagar, Lauren Nee, and Halynn Lee all qualified for States.  

• Green Hope Sports Weekly Wrap-Up: 10/16-10/22

FOOTBALL

Falcon Football Fly’s by the Pride

Men's Soccer

Class of 2018 Commit: Camden Holbrook

FOOTBALL

Falcons Playoff Preview: Leesville Road

FOOTBALL

GH vs. PC Preview

SPORTS

Crusaders No Match for Fighting Falcons