FAF$A Opens October 1st

Tuitiontree, inc.

Tuitiontree, inc.

Cayley Ryan, Staff Writer

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known widely as FAFSA, will be opening on October 1st, 2017. For students who are seeking financial aid to attend college in 2018-2019, the application makes it possible to get federal grants and aid. The FAFSA website is accessible at https://fafsa.ed.gov/. Mark your calendars — the amount of aid available is limited, so it’s in students’ best interest to submit the application as early as possible.

Can I apply for FAFSA?

For most students at Green Hope, yes. If you are enrolling in college, it can help pay for it. There are some qualifications: you must be a citizen or eligible noncitizen of the U.S. with a valid Social Security number and no convictions for drug related offenses. If you are a male, you must also be registered with the Selective Service System. Other requirements can be found here.

Why should I apply for FAFSA?

Filling out FAFSA automatically submits you as a candidate for federal financial aid. Not only that, but lots of scholarships and schools use the FAFSA information to determine how much aid they can give you. Essentially, if you plan on going to college and want some assistance to pay for it, applying for FAFSA is in your best interest.

What if my family is rich?

You should still consider applying. According to Time Magazine, “…the FAFSA also qualifies students of all income levels for lots of other financial aid that is awarded no matter how much, or little, the family makes.” There are lots of examples of cases where families with a middle class income (around $72,000 in NC according to the Pew Research Center) did not think they would qualify when in fact they could receive a large amount of money at certain schools.

What do I need to fill it out?

This website gives a great overview of the information you will need when applying depending on your family circumstances. For most students (U.S. citizens and dependent on their parents), it will require the following:

Student: Social Security Card, driver’s license (if any), 2016 W-2 forms, 2016 Federal Income Tax Return, 2016 untaxed income records, current bank statements

Parents: 2016 W-2 forms, Federal Income Tax Return, untaxed income records, bank statements, and current business and investment records

The FAFSA application only takes roughly 30 minutes to an hour to complete, and is a great resource for students seeking help in paying for college. The question to ask is not “Why fill out FAFSA?” but rather “Why not?”

• NEWS

Hurricane Maria

• FAF$A Opens October 1st

Irma Destroys Forgotten U.S.

• FAF$A Opens October 1st

New Apple Products

• FAF$A Opens October 1st

D.A.C.A. Replacement

• FAF$A Opens October 1st

Flint Water Crisis

FAF$A Opens October 1st