Daily Announcements: 9/13

Astronomy Club: Astronomy Club first meeting of the year. September 13, after school 2:30 PM in room 204. All are welcome.
NCSU Goodnight STEM Scholarship Meeting: Juniors and seniors who are interested in a career in a STEM field are invited to come to a lunch time meeting to learn more about the Goodnight Scholars Program at NCSU. A GHHS grad and current North Carolina State University student will visit GHHS on Wednesday, 09/27 during A lunch in room 200. The Goodnight Scholars Program is a program for middle-income students from North Carolina who are interested in majoring in a STEM field or STEM-Education. The program was started in 2008 by Dr. Jim Goodnight of SAS Institute and accepts 50 rising college students every year. In addition to providing a full-ride to NC State, the Goodnight Scholars provides opportunities such as professional development, social programs, trips and enrichment funding for extracurricular opportunities. NOTE: To apply for this scholarship students must complete their NCSU application by the the early application deadline of 10/15/17.
ACE Mentor Program: Students who are interested in a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering may want to consider signing up for the ACE Mentor Program (ACE). ACE is an after-school program for high school students who want to learn more about careers in architecture, construction management, and engineering. It is comprised of design and construction professionals who team together and mentor groups of 10-20 students during the school year. Team meetings take place after school for two hours (usually 4:00-6:00 PM). Participants must arrange their own transportation. The program typically meets 15 times between September and March and enrollment is free – there is no cost to students to participate. 9th – 12th graders are welcome to learn more and apply at http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/. The deadline to apply is 10/06/17.
Student Services: College Visits: The following Colleges will be visiting next week: Tues. Sept. 19, Roanoke College at 8 am, Wolford College at 9 am, Hollins Univ. at 1 pm. Wed. Sept. 20, University of Georgia at 8 am, NC State (Teacher Education Recruitment) at 9 am, Vanderbilt Univ. at 1 pm. Friday Sept. 22, Univ. of Miam at 8 am, American Univ. at 9 am, and NC State Univ. at 1 pm. You can come to student services to sign up for a college visit and get a pass before school, during lunch or after school prior to the day of the appt.
National English Honors Society (NEHS): The National English Honor Society (NEHS), is the only national organization exclusively for high school students and faculty who, in the field of English, merit special note for past and current accomplishments in academics and service. Join us for our interest meeting on September 13th during A Lunch in room 3206 to pick up applications and to find out what the club is about!
National Technical Honor Society: Applications are now open until September 22nd for National Technical Honor Society for all JUNIORS and SENIORS! -Must have 3.5 Unweighted GPA and have taken 3 CTE classes -All directions and requirements to apply are located on the application website! tinyurl.com/nthsapp2017 -See Mrs. Barone (2303) if you have any questions!
Web Design Club: The Web Design club interest meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 20th in room 2308, during second half of lunch. We’ll have snacks!

Youth and Government: The interest meeting for the Youth and Government Club will take place on September 18th during the first half of lunch in Mod 2 Room 6.

Green Hope Human Rights: Come out to Green Hope Human Rights interest meeting on Friday 9/15 in room 3320, first half! We will be kicking off the new year with food and our plans for the upcoming school year. See you all there!

Art Club: The Art Club interest meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 12 in Room 302 (Ms. Prichard’s room). The meeting will take place after school from 2:30 to 3:30. There will be snacks, so bring your friends!

Odyssey of the Mind: Odyssey of the Mind will be holding an interest meeting on Tuesday, September 12th, during the second half of lunch in Mod 2 Room 3. We’ll be going over basic information about Odyssey of the Mind and the formation of teams for this year. All new members are welcome!

Unified Champion Schools: Unified Champion Schools is a club that strives to bring students with and without disabilities together. We are looking for people who would like to play sports, do crafts, and play games with students that have disabilities. We will have our first club meeting Friday September 15th the 1st half of lunch in room 208 to plan activities for the semester. For more information about the club you can visit http://www.specialolympics.org/unified-champion-schools/

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: Do you want to make a significant impact in the blood cancer world? Do you want gain an inspiring experience that you would remember for the rest of your life? Do you want to be recognized as a leader and a hero in your community? You can have the opportunity to experience and participate in such a program like I have. I, Pauline Etchi, 2017 Triangle Student of the Year Nominee and Community Involvement Winner, encourage you to compete with other students all over North Carolina to gain the title of Student of the Year, make a great positive imprint in blood cancer research, and continue the Green Hope High legacy after me in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! For more information (with direct contact), email me at pauline.etchi@gmail.com! Thank you!

Youth Leadership Cary: Juniors who are interested in enhancing their leadership skills should consider applying for Youth Leadership Cary. This leadership training experience is hosted by the Cary Chamber of Commerce. Students must apply for one of the eight slots. Please see this link for more information and to apply: https://tinyurl.com/GHHSYLC2017. The deadline to apply is 09/22. Students need teacher recommendations, so start early!

Interested in a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering? Check out the ACE Mentor Program, a free national program for high school students (9-12). Students meet with professionals in the fields above to work on hands-on on projects! http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/ Applications open August 28th – register early, slots fill up! Interest meeting 09/07/17 6:00 PM at Daniels Middle School

The ASVAB test (military entrance exam) will be given at GHHS on 10/18/17. This free test is like an SAT test, but is used in the application process to join the Military. 10th – 12th graders may take the test. Taking the test does not obligate you to join the military. Sign up in Student Services from 09/11/17 to 10/06/17

Attention Freshmen: Would you like to attend an all day field trip at NCSU in which you learn more about leadership, networking and careers? If so, apply for the Great Xplorations field trip. You must be taking a CTE class to qualify for this field trip which will take place on 11/06/17. Applications are due by 09/29/17. See Ms. Barone in room 2203 for an application!

Anime Club: Hello fellow weeaboos!! Do like anime? Then come join the anime club! The interest meeting is September 15th during both halves of lunch in Mod 2 Room 3!

PSAT: The PSAT/NMSQT test will be administered on Wednesday, October 11th to ALL STUDENTS THAT HAVE REGISTERED (see GHHS website for registration info) On test day, students will need to bring: – A valid school or government-issued photo ID – Two #2 pencils with soft erasers (NOT mechanical pencils) – An acceptable calculator (see College Board requirements: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests/test-day-checklist/approved-calculators For more information about the PSAT/NMSQT: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/inside-the-test

French Club: Bonjour, tout le monde! French club is open to all grades, and you do not have to speak French to join. Our first meeting will be during the 1st half of lunch on Monday, September 19th. We’ll be discussing the year’s plans with some French music and (free) food. This is a completely non-judgemental space, so anyone interested in learning French, or about Francophone culture, is welcome to come. Si vous le parlez bien, c’est formidable; il y a des autres qui peuvent le faire aussi!

PSAT Registration: 2017 PSAT Registration:  PSAT registration will begin on Monday, September 11th and continue through Friday, September 22nd.  The registration fee of $16 will be covered by WCPSS for any 11th grader with a 4.2667 GPA or higher. Registration forms and payment will be accepted before school and during SMART Lunch. The PSAT will be administered on Wednesday, October 11th. Please see the GHHS website for more information about registration and payment.

DECA: The DECA interest meeting will be held on Thursday, September 7 and Tuesday, September 12 in the Auditorium. The meeting will be during first half of lunch.

Environmental Club: Come to Environmental Club meetings every Thursday from 2:30-3:15 in room 316! Everyone can attend. You can receive APES hours for attending meetings.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/

Food Ark: Want to help fight food insecurity? Attend the Green HOpe Food Ark interest meeting Wednesday, September 13 1st half of lunch in room 3214.

Senior Conferences (September 5th to 12th): This is the opportunity for all seniors to have a one-on-one conversation (15 minutes since there are over 700 this year) with their counselor about graduation requirements, post-secondary plans and application processes.  Students are signing up on Sign-Up Genius for their appointment.

Senior Portraits:  If you were not present for senior portraits in July, Strawbridge Studios will offer some “Studio” hours for students who wish to have portraits made on the various backgrounds.  Customer Service (866) 624-6229 will be handling all of those appointments.  Make-ups for basic cap/gown will be at the school, date TBD.

Media Center: YA author Scott Reintgen will visit Green Hope on Wednesday, September 13 during 4th period in the auditorium to promote his debut sci-fi novel Nyxia. Pre-order the book in the media center and get a signed copy during the talk. All students are invited.

If your club or organization has any information or announcements they would like posted on the Falcon News Feed, be sure to click the link below!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdcmiyt8dEZP5Jjs3rWDOpbtHZ1r9LOcMS5AXXGhVy_gkiG0Q/viewfo

Daily Announcements: 9/13