New CEO Rides in to Uber

How often do GH students use Uber?

How often do GH students use Uber?

Sonia Rao

Sonia Rao

How often do GH students use Uber?

Sonia Rao, Opinion Editor

Uber, the extremely popular car transportation and food delivery company, is the world’s most private corporation with a value of approximately $68.5 million.  The company recently announced the appointment of a new CEO, former Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi.  Khosrowshahi is following in the footsteps of Travis Kalanick, who co-founded Uber in 2009 before leaving in June of 2017.  

How often do you Uber?

For the past year, Uber has been embroiled in scandal after scandal, from issues of sexism and prejudice to illegal taxi operations and violations of privacy.  One of these controversial moves include incorporating an update to be able to track Uber app users for five minutes after their trips have ended, and forcing users to choose between always or never collecting location data.  Khosrowshahi, who starts the job on September 5th, has a new vision for the company.  He wants Uber to focus on core businesses, taking big chances, paying the bills, and regaining market share from rival company Lyft.  

Uber is a popular service for students at Green Hope High School, especially for underclassmen who do not have their driver’s licenses yet.  According to informal polls on Twitter, approximately 4% of students use Uber almost every day, 8% use Uber 1-2 times a week, and 28% of students use Uber 1-2 times a month.  This means about 40% of the Green Hope’s population relies on Uber at some point of the year as a transport service.  

Hopefully the updates to Uber’s administrative department will create a safer environment for students to catch rides to various extracurricular and work commitments.

• New CEO Rides in to Uber

Top Google Searches of 2017

• New CEO Rides in to Uber

Net Neutrality: What is it and How Does it Affect You?

• New CEO Rides in to Uber

GHHS Running Trail Construction

• New CEO Rides in to Uber

One Nation Under Doug

• New CEO Rides in to Uber

Saudi Arabia Lifts Ban on Movie Theaters

New CEO Rides in to Uber