Social Studies and Theater Departments Tell “Hamilton” Story

At the Richard Rogers Theater in NYC!

At the Richard Rogers Theater in NYC!

Sonia Rao

Sonia Rao

At the Richard Rogers Theater in NYC!

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

This past weekend, I was granted the opportunity to see the popular, Tony-award-winning broadway show Hamilton at the Richard Rogers Theater in New York City.  The show was absolutely amazing, and exceeded beyond my wildest expectations.  From the amazing ensemble, intricate set, wonderful dancing, and the extremely talented cast, there was not one thing that I would choose to change about the show, even if I could.  In order to get elusive tickets, my mom and I bought them right after the Tony Awards almost a year ago when a new block of tickets went on sale.  However, most people are not lucky enough to get the same opportunity.  Fear not, because there are several other ways students can experience Hamilton besides traveling all the way to Broadway.  

Besides shows in Chicago and San Francisco, Hamilton is also coming to the DPAC on a national tour in 2018.  Although tickets are sure to sell out fast, those who buy seasoned DPAC tickets during the 2016-17 season get first pick for Hamilton.  However, it is understandable that many people would not want to shell out that much money, in addition to the cost of the show as well.  For those who cannot or do not want to spend the exuberant amount of money that Hamilton will cost them, there are other options, believe it or not. In fact, the solution might come from somewhere least expected: Green Hope High School.

For the past couple of years, the Social Studies and Theater departments have collaborated to form an interactive Hamilton lesson for students.  The session consists of listening and discussing some of the most prominent tracks from the musical and eventually prompting students to create their own works.  This semester’s lesson will take place next Wednesday.  Mr. Richardson, the APUSH and American History teacher at Green Hope, said the purpose of these lessons was to “try to empower students by giving them a voice.  What are stories that need the Hamilton treatment, [and] to what degree can we challenge students and tell these stories?” He stated that next year, the lessons will expand to include a three to four week collaboration between the Theater and Social Studies departments where APUSH students will find a story in American history and create a piece that will be passed on to theatre classes to be turned into short plays.  The goal of these lessons are not only to introduce the work of Hamilton to students that might not have heard it before, but also to take and expand the piece and work on putting students into the same mindset of famous creator Lin Manuel-Miranda.

In addition to all of these opportunities, the soundtrack is always available for free on Youtube and Spotify, and to buy digitally on platforms such as iTunes or even in person at stores like Target.  No matter who lives, who dies, who tells the Hamilton story, it seems that someone will always be there to do it.

• Social Studies and Theater Departments Tell “Hamilton” Story

ARE YOU READY TO DELVE INTO THE DUNGEON?

Top Google Searches of 2017

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Ms. Bradshaw

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Justin Ho

Real or Fake Trees