Wayand Wins States

News & Observer

News & Observer

Abbie Daltorio, Sports Editor

On Saturday, senior Ben Wayand won the State Championship for men’s tennis singles.  This is Green Hope’s first men’s tennis State Championship ever.  In addition, this is the fifth State Championship (including both team and individuals) that Green Hope has won this school year.

Wayand commented on his win, “It means a lot to win States.  It’s very exciting to be the first boy at Green Hope to win it all.”  Ben says practicing more, with a purpose, instead of going through the motions has helped him improve this year.  He also said his teammates have been very supportive this year and have pushed him to be his best.  

Ben has been the #1 player at Green Hope all four years.  Prior to this year, he has never made it past the first round in States.  He defeated Banks Evans from Clayton High School in the Championship.  Wayand won both sets over Evans, (6-0, 6-1).  This was the first time he had played Evans, so he wasn’t sure what to expect.  Evans is younger, and Wayand believes he will only get better as he gets older.  Ben was happy to finish his high school career by winning States and getting a ring.

Next year Ben will continue his tennis career at UNC Charlotte.  He’s excited to play in college because the matches are tougher, and he’s looking for a challenge.  Wayand believes the Falcons will be just as good next year without him.  He said the kids are young and are only going to get better as they mature.  Congratulations Ben, and good luck next year!

• Wayand Wins States

Baseball

Weekly Sports

• Wayand Wins States

Baseball

Falcons Finish Fight for 55

• Wayand Wins States

Baseball

Weekly Sports

• Wayand Wins States

Baseball

Weekly Sports

• Wayand Wins States

Baseball

Weekly Sports

Wayand Wins States