Soccer Crushes Caps in Round 1

Will Hoffmann, Sports Writer

The women’s varsity soccer team took the field last night against Broughton High school Caps in the first round of state playoffs. In the eighth minute of the game, Anna Bevan took a shot that bounced off the keeper. Luckily, Grace Wagner was there to swoop in and score, bringing the Lady Falcons to an early lead of 1-0. In the 24th minute, Grace made an excellent pass to Anna Bevan who took a shot that near rolled in the goal, but a Broughton defender saved it on the goal line. The half ended 1-0, but the ladies were ready to create a bigger lead.

Seven minutes into the second half, Grace Wagner took a corner that ended up bobbling around in the box. Eventually, Audrey Prevost, sitting at the top of the box, cranked the ball into the back of the net. Two minutes later, in the 49th minute, Green Hope stole the ball back and dribbled it downfield. Anna Bevan took another shot that ended up bouncing off the keeper, where Taylor Cammarata was there to clean it up. This put the Lady Falcons up 3-0 against Broughton. In the 55th minute, Broughton scored off a free kick, but the ladies weren’t going to let that discourage them. In the 65th minute, Grace Wagner got a break away and went 1v1 with the goalie. When the keeper came out, Grace finessed the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal. Grace Wagner on the playoffs; “Our motto is ‘One game at a time’ until we hopefully reach the state finals. We were excited because we had a couple key players out so it gave us confidence that we were still able to win 4-1.  We’re really excited for the second round.”  The game ended 4-1, another great victory for the women’s varsity team who will be going on into the second round of playoffs. The Falcons will host Laney High School tomorrow night at 6:00.